White wines from juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I started two batches of white wines from juice, a triple batch of Chenin Blanc made with juice from South Africa and a double batch of Sauvignon Blanc made from juice from Australia. This will mark my first time making wine from South African grapes and I am anxious to see how it turns out. I got about 5 pounds of Thompson seedless grapes, stemmed them, crushed them and cooked them down to about 3/4 of the original volume. I ended with about 80 ounces of material for my "grape packs." I divided the grapes 60/40 between the two batches and added the yeast. The Chenin Blanc got Red Star Premier Blanc with EC1118 and the Sauvignon Blanc got D47 with EC1118. I zested 3 grapefruit and have the zest in the freezer to be added into the secondary fermenter. The wines are "cooking away" already and I am anticipating a very positive outcome.

Attachments

• 100_1507.JPG
    100_1507.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • 100_1508.JPG
    100_1508.JPG
    980.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_1469.JPG
    100_1469.JPG
    879.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1509.JPG
    100_1509.JPG
    767 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_1471.JPG
    100_1471.JPG
    949.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_1472.JPG
    100_1472.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1520.JPG
    100_1520.JPG
    977.9 KB · Views: 48
100_1472.JPG

I included this picture as a tip for people opening the juice buckets. I use a pair of slip joint pliers to pull the opening strip. Works like a charm. Also, the pliers are good for pulling up on the 4 tabs that lock the top in place, either with the jaws or with one side of the grip, used as a pry. Lastly, as strength continues to dissipate, I lift the bucket up to the table and "ladle out" about 2 gallons with a 1 quart measuring cup and then lift and spill the rest. It is too hard for me to lift the whole 6 gallons to the top of the fermenter like I used to do.

Looks great. Curious though, what’s the thought behind the Thompson’s seedless? My family would often use them in their muscat/zin/Alicante field blends. But I thought it was almost used as a ‘filler’.
What do you hope to gain with them in Sauv Blanc & Chenin Blanc? More body? And why cook them first?

Looks great. Curious though, what’s the thought behind the Thompson’s seedless? My family would often use them in their muscat/zin/Alicante field blends. But I thought it was almost used as a ‘filler’.
What do you hope to gain with them in Sauv Blanc & Chenin Blanc? More body? And why cook them first?

Hi Jersey, I use them for more body and I cook them down to get some of the water out of them, thus concentrating the sugar. I will also add grapefruit zest in the secondary fermenter for a little more acidity on the tongue.

I racked my whites into secondary fermenters. Ended up with a little more than 16 gallons of Australian Sauvignon Blanc and a little over 17 gallons of South African Chenin Blanc. The color of both is very pale so I am excited to see how they finish color-wise. I also added grapefruit zest to the secondary carboys. For the Chenin Blanc it was about 21 grams per 5 gallon carboy and for the Sauvignon Blanc, it was 28 grams for each 6 gallon carboy.

Attachments

• 100_1526.JPG
    100_1526.JPG
    858 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1527.JPG
    100_1527.JPG
    906.3 KB · Views: 47
Sounds like a great plan at work Rocky, just remembered it will take a little more time to clear with the 🍇.
Like the different jars you use to accommodate the volume, good move ,shows you have tools in the tool box..

I'm guessing they will clear up nicely in a few weeks. after your next racking for sure. Nice job.
Here is where they are now, Pete. The Chenin Blanc is clearing very nicely. One carboy of Sauvignon Blanc looks very nice and the 5 gallon carboy is being obstinate for some reason. Might have to hit that one again.

100_1554.JPG
100_1555.JPG

Last edited:
I just ordered my first juice buckets. 12 gal of Viognier and 12 gal of Riesling. Having only made red wine kits so far I’m not 100% sure what I should have on hand once I receive the buckets.. Yeast, GoFerm... do I need Bentonite? Advice is greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend Bentonite. Other than that, I'd say a pH meter and some tartaric acid. The bucket should be balanced, but if not, you'll be able to make a quick adjustment before pitching the yeast. Aside from that, white wine from a juice bucket is about the same process as a kit, except you don't have to add water and mix it up. If you were doing a chardonnay, you might consider malolactic fermentation. But since you're not, I won't go there. ;)

One of the things I like about white juice buckets is that they represent the closest thing to making wine from grapes, in that in white wine making the wine does not sit on the skins. Rather, grapes are crushed, pressed and go directly into the fermenter. I have always found white wine from buckets to be a better wine than red wine from buckets, assuming nothing is done to enhance the red wine. In my case, when I make red wine from buckets, I but a 36 pound lug of grapes of the same variety for each bucket, strip them, crush them and add them to the primary.

Not sure a lug of grapes will help the white wine juice as much as it does for the red juice buckets. I do the same thing for the red wine juice. The extended maceration for reds works well, not sure you get the same results with whites. I would let the white juice settle down to room temps, add the yeast of choice and let it rip. if you like an oaky white add some spirals during primary. Then of course, back sweeten per taste.

Not sure a lug of grapes will help the white wine juice as much as it does for the red juice buckets. I do the same thing for the red wine juice. The extended maceration for reds works well, not sure you get the same results with whites. I would let the white juice settle down to room temps, add the yeast of choice and let it rip. if you like an oaky white add some spirals during primary. Then of course, back sweeten per taste.

Perhaps I was not clear in my earlier post. No, I never add grapes to the white juices, only the reds. As you do, on certain varieties, e.g. Chardonnay, I do add oak. Also, I never back sweeten my whites. They ferment to about SG 0.995 and that is "sweet" enough for me. We are in complete agreement. Somatime, Ima no speaka di Englisha too good.

Last edited:
Back