White wine turn out bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
The last 2 white wine I made didn’t turn out too good. The kits I use was Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay from winexpert, the kits were about 10 month old, I follow the instruction but the wine turns out to be darker than normal (like gold color) with no nose and flavor, and taste terrible, I’m wondering what I did wrong

I’m thinking of two things that maybee happen:

1) The kits were too old, I call winexpert and they said the kits have 1-year life shelf.

2) The Potassium Metabisulfite I used at the finish stage to keep the wine for a longer period was too old, I think the Potassium Metabisulfite was about 2 years old

Did anyone ever experience this can of problem?

Thank you

Not sure that dated K-meta would cause discoloration but if you think the wine kit was beyond the "make by" date how long had it been expired for before you opened it?

Sounds as though the wine was oxidized?

I make a point to avoid oxygen on whites; ferment under airlock, vacuum transfer where possible, full containers, solid bungs and make sure I keep my (< 1 year old) sulfite level up.

Color is ok,you don't no what the base wine consintrate was?
Oxidation, could very well be , dump it.

Latest posts

Back