Other white wine kits poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What white varietal kits would you buy?

• Chenin Blanc

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Gewürztraminer

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Marsanne

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Muscat

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Picpoul Blanc

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Pinot Grigio

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Semillion

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Verdicchio

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Viognier

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In line with the red kit varietals poll, I'm curious as to what white wine kits people would buy.

Finer Wine Kits currently markets:

Chardonnay, Moscato, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc

What else would you buy?

Note: When I chose grapes for these polls, I selected ones that would be well-known enough and likely grown in California. In some cases I guessed about availability.

Last edited:
Not a big White wine drinker and have yet to make any whites. But I did enjoy listening to Matteo and Matt discuss the whites as they tasted them in the video they just released. I would start with the already available Riesling if I made one. I voted Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, and Viognier.

Also not much of a white wine drinker, but after the Virtual Wine Tasting last week with Justin Wines, one on my list would be Viognier. I'd also consider a blend of various whites as an option based on my experience with RJS Trio White. Excellent in my opinion.

Also not much of a white wine drinker, but after the Virtual Wine Tasting last week with Justin Wines, one on my list would be Viognier. I'd also consider a blend of various whites as an option based on my experience with RJS Trio White. Excellent in my opinion.
That’s one of my wife’s favorite white kits, and it drinks very well early on too.

With 22 voters so far, the leader is Viogier, followed by Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, and Gewurztraminer.

The only surprise to me is the Chenin Blanc. I really like it, but I'm a fan of Loire wines, where Chenin Blanc is used for premium wines.

I'm not surprised that I'm the only voter for Picpoul Blanc, as it's an uncommon grape in the USA. I know of it only because a bottle was recommended to me a couple of years ago, and my wife really likes it, so I keep a few in stock.

Not a big white wine drinker, other than the usual stuff you get at the grocery. One white kit I'd be really interested in is Orvieto (which I think is actually a blend).

Apparently white wines are not as popular as reds, as this poll currently has 27 votes vs 41 for the reds.

I'm somewhat surprised the leader is Viognier. I mentioned previously that Chenin Blanc is another surprise, as IME, few people are familiar with it.

I definitely gravitate toward a red all year long but in the past year I've made a sauvignon blanc kit and a frontenac blanc from grapes. The frontenac blanc has really got my attention for being an extremely enjoyable wine, there is something about the extra acid mixed with some sour fruity notes that made me go wow unlike any other wine I've had. That said my overall enjoyment in wine comes from a moderately oaked Red..🍷

Apparently white wines are not as popular as reds, as this poll currently has 27 votes vs 41 for the reds.

I'm somewhat surprised the leader is Viognier. I mentioned previously that Chenin Blanc is another surprise, as IME, few people are familiar with it.
I am surprised at the results as well. Three of the four most popular (by sales) white wines in the US do not even appear on the list: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling, and the only one that does is Pinot Grigio. Are we members of the blog that much more sophisticated than the hoi polloi? ;)

I am surprised at the results as well. Three of the four most popular (by sales) white wines in the US do not even appear on the list: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling, and the only one that does is Pinot Grigio. Are we members of the blog that much more sophisticated than the hoi polloi? ;)
The kits currently marketed by FWK do not appear in either survey.

Grenache blanc and Roussanne along with the Marsanne for a Rhône blend for me. I have tried the RJS Argentine trio of Viognier, Riesling, Chard and the WE Australian Boomerang with Chard and Semillion. I would like to see some white FW blends like they have done with the red blends Bordeaux and Super Tuscan. What about a late harvest/desert wine with Petit Manseng or Chenin Blanc?

Latest posts

Back