Other white wine kits poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What white varietal kits would you buy?

• Chenin Blanc

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Gewürztraminer

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Marsanne

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Muscat

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Picpoul Blanc

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Pinot Grigio

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Semillion

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Verdicchio

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Viognier

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder how well a white blend kits would sell? I looked up the grapes legal to grow in areas of France:

Rhone: Roussanne, Marsanne, Viognier, Bourboulenc, Clairette, Grenache Blanc, Picpoul Blanc, Picardan, Muscat-Blanc.

Bordeaux: Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon, Muscadelle, Sauvignon Gris, Colombard, Ugni Blanc, Merlot Blanc, Mauzac, Ondenc, Alvarinho, Liliorila.

Loire: Melon / Muscadet / Melon de Bourgogne, Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Folle Blanche / Gros Plant, Menu Pineau / Arbois / Orbois / Petit Pineau.

Burgundy: Chardonnay, Aligoté.

For FWK, the grapes would have to be available to their supplier, e.g., grown in California. In each of the above lists, the first half is available in CA, but the others? Probably not.

Neither Winexpert nor RJ Spagnols currently markets blends modeled on French blends -- their white blends are "new age", where they have blended grapes not widely seen in the commercial world (if at all). I made a WineArt White Bordeaux kit in 1997, and I was pleased with it at that time.

Just started the Trio from RgS touch of grapefruit zest , champagne yeast instead of the EC1118 .
moved from primary fermentation to secondary at present ,smells delicious 😋

Past experience is very smooth , very bright medium body around 12%abv. In 6 weeks from finish should be excellent, as always.

All depends on what I’m using it for.
the Blanc. Finished smooth good texture.
There are two others ones for a real sparking wine finish and the other is great for Rose’s.

All depends on what I’m using it for.
the Blanc. Finished smooth good texture.
There are two others ones for a real sparking wine finish and the other is great for Rose’s.
Which yeast do you like for rosé?

One of the first wines I made, like 25 years ago, was a Chardonnay/Semillion blend. It was very good and is a blend that I'd like to see. Roussanne is another that didn't make the list.

Neither Winexpert nor RJ Spagnols currently markets blends modeled on French blends -- their white blends are "new age", where they have blended grapes not widely seen in the commercial world (if at all).
FWIW I do not know about RJS but looking at WE's 6 white LE blends for the last 3 years, I can find 4 of those blends in my local shop though these blends are few and far between in that shop.

FWIW I do not know about RJS but looking at WE's 6 white LE blends for the last 3 years, I can find 4 of those blends in my local shop though these blends are few and far between in that shop.
It appears you misread my comment -- both RJS and WE make white blends, but not traditional French blends. Everything on their current lists is a mixture of grapes from different areas.

It appears you misread my comment
That wouldn't been the first time, sorry if doing so. I read your comment as that these blends may not exist in the commercial world at all. The LE21 from WE has a Macabeo Sauv Blanc blend from the same area Manchuela in Spain. I can buy that blend in my local store. The white blend in LE21 is Trebbiano Riesling blend that comes from two areas in Italy. A blend I can't find, regardless of growing area.

That wouldn't been the first time, sorry if doing so.
No problem! I can't count the times I've done it. ;)

I went down the white list at RJS and WE, and every white was a non-standard blend. I like the idea of doing "non-standard" blends, as there is so much room for experimentation in a world where transport is easy. While I don't make a lot of white, I'm now willing to try these blends.

A few years back a LE17 or LE18 wine was Symphony Gewurztraminer. I saw "Gewurztraminer", didn't realize "Symphony" was a grape, and didn't read the description clearly ( 🤣 ), well, not until I had the box open. Oh, well, it's wine, might as well make it.

Overall I was highly disappointed, as I wanted Gewurztraminer, and this wine has no G character. It took a couple of years, but the wine aged nicely, and I learned to really like it. This changed my mind about white blends. Unfortunately I have only 4 bottles left ...

We are up to 42 votes, and the overall ranking of grapes hasn't changed.

A few years back a LE17 or LE18 wine was Symphony Gewurztraminer. I saw "Gewurztraminer", didn't realize "Symphony" was a grape, and didn't read the description clearly ( 🤣 ), well, not until I had the box open. Oh, well, it's wine, might as well make it.

Overall I was highly disappointed, as I wanted Gewurztraminer, and this wine has no G character. It took a couple of years, but the wine aged nicely, and I learned to really like it. This changed my mind about white blends. Unfortunately I have only 4 bottles left ...
A now defunct winery in Virginia was growing Symphony. It made nice dessert wines and I liked the wines overall. I've thought about growing at my plot in Northeastern VA, but can't find cuttings or suppliers.

Odd that a Gewurztraminer blend didn't have any G character. Traminette is the offspring of Gewurztraminer and most any Tram blend is a Tram wine. Winemakers are warned to blend very small amounts of Tram.

Odd that a Gewurztraminer blend didn't have any G character.
I initially thought the same thing, as G is very distinctive. However, the blend is labeled "Symphony Gewurztraminer", and there is no indication how much G is in the mix. It could be as little as 5% or 10%.

My initial disappointment was mostly due to my expectations not being met. Once I got used to having 2 cases of wine that failed to meet my expectations, and accepted it on its own merits, it became quite good. It's also surprising the wine needed nearly 2 years in the bottle to become good. I assume that's due to the Symphony.

I didn't bought that one as I never had tasted a wine with Symphony.
If I had read the label carefully, I'd not have purchased it. But this turned out to be a good thing, as it opened my eyes to new possibilities.

This poll ended a bit differently than the red grape poll. That one had ties for 2nd and 3rd place and showed more variety, while this poll was more sequential.

Pinot Grigio was #1, by one vote over Viognier. Gewurztraminer was a bit farther behind for 3rd place, and Chenin Blanc farther back for 4th. The last 5 choices didn't get a lot of love.

Back