White wine flavor.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadera83

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I did 5 gallons of nice of the Sangiovese. All has been great and after a second racking I wouldn’t mind of it had more flavor or a little more sweet. Is there anything i can do to give it a little better flavor?

Thanks

I will reiterate to accentuate the point made by @heatherd, use Kmeta and sorbate to prevent any further fermentation. Even though you say it’s done, you didn’t mention how you know that to be true.

Options for sweetening are just table sugar, made into a syrup, or adding fruit juices, doesn’t even have to be the same fruit you made the wine from.

Hi all. I did 5 gallons of nice of the Sangiovese. All has been great and after a second racking I wouldn’t mind of it had more flavor or a little more sweet. Is there anything i can do to give it a little better flavor?

Thanks
Sangiovese typically has a fruit background of strawberries and cherries. I suggest getting a fruit base in one of these fruits and adding a little to the wine until you get a flavor you like. I would pull a bottle of the wine and add a small amount to the liter, say a tablespoon's worth. Try it and add more or less to the next bottle until you like the taste. Having this information, scale up the addition to the rest of the wine.

https://labelpeelers.com/fruit-wine-base/
You probably wont use the entire gallon so make some fruit wine out of the remainder.

Remember to add to the 5 gallons 2.5 t. of Potassium Sorbate to prevent refermentation.

Thanks
I would add what is called wine conditioner, ii is a combination of sugar and sorbet. Bench test first or add 1/4 bottle (500mls size bottle, mix well and taste. add more as required).
After adding I always wait about a week before bottling to ensure ebverything is stable.

A little word of caution. Aging can make a tremendous difference in a wine's taste, both in terms of fruitiness and some in perceived sweetness. I have a white kit that started out bone dry, harsh, and very weak in fruit (grape) flavor when fermentation finished. It turned out to be delightful after 18 months in the bottle, much more flavorful, less flabby, and even seemed to have a bit of sweetness. Before bottling I was originally tempted to back sweeten a little but now am glad I didn't. One lesson I've taken away from this is that if I'm not going to drink the wine right away maybe I should bulk age and make adjustments afterward rather than trust my luck to bottle aging.

Back