White vs. Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received a Pinot Grigio kit from Wild Grapes and I was a bit shocked as I read the directions. For starters, I expected a cold fermenting white wine yeast to be included with the kit. Instead EC 1118 was in the package which is not cold fermenting. As I read the directions enclosed, they were identical to a Merlot that i bought earlier in the year from another company. So what's going on? Same directions and additions whether it be red or white? Should I pitch Cote Des Blancs that I have on hand to take advantage of cooler fermenting Temperatures?
Thanks

WV

The EC1118 seems to be for lower temps.

The information I have on Cote des Blancs indicates it ferments best between 17°C-30°C (64°-86°F). Sensitive below 13°C (55°F).

Information for EC1118 indicates it ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to
30°C (50° to 86°F).

The EC1118 seems to be for lower temps.

The information I have on Cote des Blancs indicates it ferments best between 17°C-30°C (64°-86°F). Sensitive below 13°C (55°F).

Information for EC1118 indicates it ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to
30°C (50° to 86°F).

Many white wines benefit a great deal if fermented at or below 59°F/15°C, so this yeast is not "ideal" for whites. Another yeast would be better. But as already said, this is a kit, so a jack of all trades yeast will work fine for a kit. And this is Pinot grigio (grigio is just the Italian name of this French gris grape -- and the Italian wine making style also differs from the French -- and is often done at higher temps and is less fruit forward).

Last edited:
you can use either yeast at cool temp and come out okay. Cotes des Blanc is supposed to retain floral content of wine better. I think it is better choice for white wines.

On a slightly different topic. In regards to jump starting a stuck fermentation. Added more yeast and yeast nutrient. If it doesn’t start up I will start more yeast on a stir plate and pitch. Will I need to add more nutrient at that second pitching?

Generally you don't add nutrients to a stuck ferment unless sugar content is greater than 3 brix according to Scott Labs. See guide.

Attachments

• RestartStuck.pdf
    306.4 KB · Views: 3
Always remember ,Kit manufacturer Don't know your skills or abilities nor your environment that your in so they supplied the simplest direction and most aggressive yeast available.
Making a kit is supposed to be a good experience ,no guess work need to make a decent wine.
Once you're experience then you can think outside the box and start to play with your wine.

EC 1118 will ferment a rock, if given the chance. If I have a stuck fermentation, I add EC 1118. If the fermentation doesn't restart, I concede defeat. As Joe said, the kit vendors err on the side of caution. They want you to be a repeat customer, so they want you to succeed.

Any wine yeast will ferment any grape with a successful result. Yes, white wine yeast may produce a more pleasing result than EC 1118, but you'd probably have to taste them side-by-side to notice the difference.

Latest posts

Back