Quantcast

White vs. Red

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wineview

Reaction score
I just received a Pinot Grigio kit from Wild Grapes and I was a bit shocked as I read the directions. For starters, I expected a cold fermenting white wine yeast to be included with the kit. Instead EC 1118 was in the package which is not cold fermenting. As I read the directions enclosed, they were identical to a Merlot that i bought earlier in the year from another company. So what's going on? Same directions and additions whether it be red or white? Should I pitch Cote Des Blancs that I have on hand to take advantage of cooler fermenting Temperatures?
Thanks

WV

CDrew

California Garagiste
Reaction score
It's a kit. They have formulated it for the lowest common denominator of winemaker. I would not sweat it and just go with the instructions. What difference are you trying to achieve?

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
The EC1118 seems to be for lower temps.

The information I have on Cote des Blancs indicates it ferments best between 17°C-30°C (64°-86°F). Sensitive below 13°C (55°F).

Information for EC1118 indicates it ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to
30°C (50° to 86°F).

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
The EC1118 seems to be for lower temps.

The information I have on Cote des Blancs indicates it ferments best between 17°C-30°C (64°-86°F). Sensitive below 13°C (55°F).

Information for EC1118 indicates it ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to
30°C (50° to 86°F).
Many white wines benefit a great deal if fermented at or below 59°F/15°C, so this yeast is not "ideal" for whites. Another yeast would be better. But as already said, this is a kit, so a jack of all trades yeast will work fine for a kit. And this is Pinot grigio (grigio is just the Italian name of this French gris grape -- and the Italian wine making style also differs from the French -- and is often done at higher temps and is less fruit forward).

Last edited:

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
you can use either yeast at cool temp and come out okay. Cotes des Blanc is supposed to retain floral content of wine better. I think it is better choice for white wines.

wineview

Reaction score
On a slightly different topic. In regards to jump starting a stuck fermentation. Added more yeast and yeast nutrient. If it doesn’t start up I will start more yeast on a stir plate and pitch. Will I need to add more nutrient at that second pitching?

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Generally you don't add nutrients to a stuck ferment unless sugar content is greater than 3 brix according to Scott Labs. See guide.

Attachments

bstnh1

Reaction score
I've made several batches of Pinot Grigio from kits using EC 1118 and they all came out fine. WE seems to put that yeast in everything they make!

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Always remember ,Kit manufacturer Don't know your skills or abilities nor your environment that your in so they supplied the simplest direction and most aggressive yeast available.
Making a kit is supposed to be a good experience ,no guess work need to make a decent wine.
Once you're experience then you can think outside the box and start to play with your wine.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
EC 1118 will ferment a rock, if given the chance. If I have a stuck fermentation, I add EC 1118. If the fermentation doesn't restart, I concede defeat. As Joe said, the kit vendors err on the side of caution. They want you to be a repeat customer, so they want you to succeed.

Any wine yeast will ferment any grape with a successful result. Yes, white wine yeast may produce a more pleasing result than EC 1118, but you'd probably have to taste them side-by-side to notice the difference.

Latest posts