white stuff flies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa_Jeff

Junior
Reaction score
IMG_20171101_43513.jpg
So the white stuff has been flying for a few days now. Praying my wine in the primaries dont slow too much. Cant find my heating pads but did wrap them in towels. Maybe time for new warming pads. So the question is.... are there some out there with a reliable adjustment or just get a plug it in and go like I had in the past??

Room temp was only 62°, turned it up a bit and have 70 now. In floor radiant heat and a wood stove is our only heat. Cant just bump it for a quick warm up like a normal furnace but it is far more efficiant. I would have the primaries on tye heated floor if not for dogs that love wine.

I use my hubby's brew belt and one of the temperature regulators when it's cold.

Also, you could consider buying a dog crate and putting the wine inside it ;) or an exercise pen. I do that a lot with my dogs to keep them away from stuff. I have dog crates in my car, and I put groceries and stuff in them so the dogs can't get them!

I think you should be find, radiant heat in the floor is a bonus for your carboys. I ferment in the basement, temps run around 60 and I don't use brew belts. I have never had a stuck ferment.

I use a basic heat mat designed to warm the soil in seed starting trays (don't tell my wife where it went) in combination with 1 or 2 car windshield sun visors. I have a quality thick visor and a thin dollar store version. There's always some combo that works, but I do have to check on things regularly to make sure my temps are not climbing too high. The mat is wide enough to handle 2 vessels at one time and puts out enough gentle heat to keep the fermenters going in my basement anytime of the year.

It's not rocket science, but it works.

I cant help you...I live in the Houston area...they would cancel everything if we had 1 single snowflake

the bench

Back