WineXpert White Merlot Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18523

Reaction score
Hi,
I am thinking of starting a batch of white merlot but was unsure which I should make. Was hoping that someone out there has made some and would be willing tor recommend. Was thikning either the WE Strawberry White Merlot from the Island Mist collection, the WE White Merlot from theie Selection Original kit, or the RJ Spangols ORchard Breezing Black Currant White Merlot, or finally the RJ Spangols ORchard Breezing Strawberry White Zin. I think I like White Merlot better than White Zin, but haven't tried either of these homemade. Really want a nice summer light wine. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks
Rich

You have listed three mist wines and one regular wine. The mist wines (OB and IM) are sweet, flavoured, low alcohol wines that are great summer refreshers but are more like coolers. Think Arbor Mist or Wild Vines. The taste is much more the flavouring than the wine base.

The Selection Original White Merlot is the 'normal' still wine. Should be about 12% alcohol, and would make a nice summer wine. I have never made this kit so don't know if 'off-dry' in the description is from the wine or a sweetening pouch. There is also the Ken Ridge White Merlot (no sweetening pouch) if Vineco kits are available to you).

Steve

Thanks - would you consider the Berringer or Sutter Home White Merlot to be similar to the Selection Original white merlot or the Island Mist. Those are what I am trying to make. Does anyone have an flavor recommendations for the white merlot that they have tried and tested? thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks - would you consider the Berringer or Sutter Home White Merlot to be similar to the Selection Original white merlot or the Island Mist. Those are what I am trying to make.
I have no experience with those commercial wines, but I'm pretty sure that they are 'normal' still wines similar to the Selection Original White Merlot.

Does anyone have an flavor recommendations for the white merlot that they have tried and tested? thanks.
Not sure what you mean here. Are you asking about adding flavouring to the wine?

Steve

I have no experience with those commercial wines, but I'm pretty sure that they are 'normal' still wines similar to the Selection Original White Merlot.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you asking about adding flavouring to the wine?

Steve

What I meant was, to the extent it was a mist, they have a variety of flavors.

I did the Selection Original White Merlot last year and it turned out great. If you're looking for a wine for this summer, one of the mist kits might work better for you. If I remember correctly, the kit was ok right after bottling, but it got better after 6 months.

Peace,
Bob

I made the selections original white merlot in Nov 07 and it was fair after 6 months. It vastly improved after 1 year of age so I kept 6 bottles back and drank the rest. Opened one up in Dec. and it was very good so we will be drinking the rest this summer after it warms up. I enjoy it served cold on the deck in the evening sun!!

Last edited:
Ive made the Blackberry Merlot from RJS and I liked it but it was a little sweater then I usually like and I tend to like semi-sweet wines. What I mean is it was very nice but be aware if you make it you may want to add only some of the f-pack (Flavoring Bag) and taste and then add more if needed but taste frequently You really should do that when adding any flavoring to any wine or sweetening it in any way.

The Selection Original will be similar to the Sutter Homes and Berringer White Merlot. Like others have said, if you want to drink it this summer do a mist kit. I like sweet but not overly sweet wines and I found that 3/4 of the F-Pac keeps it flavorful with fruit and sweetness but not over the top.
I wanted to do the VR or Selection White Merlot or White Zin, but after I reviewed the cost, time, and hassle it just isn't worth it. I can get Berringer White Merlot (which I love) for about $3 and TwoBuckChuck makes a decent White Zin.

Latest posts

Back