white grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granrey

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Reaction score
I started a 1 gal batch.

I honestly wanted to see how the fermentation work on a very clear liquid (I guess I could use water too lol).

Immediately, I fixed a misconception I had. I thought the yeast, dissolves at the top. Instead it goes to the bottom. Btw, I don't pitch the yeast as recommended. It always work for me.

Now I'm curious to see if the fermentation happens in the entire body of the juice or just at the bottom.20210301_214357.jpg20210301_220051.jpg20210301_214521.jpg

I kind of jumped the gun in a different thread here recently, commenting on something I thought I knew what I was talking about, so I'm hesitant to assume your level of experience. Have you done a 1 gallon batch like this before? Just a hunch, but I'm thinking once fermentation picks up, you are going to have foam coming out of that jug onto your counter. Primary fermentation is usually done in an open bucket with lots of room for the foam that is going to be produced. Yes the yeast sinks initially, but once it gets going, the CO2 produced creates bubbles and foam and keeps everything suspended. The amount of CO2 and foam depends on the must, the type of yeast, the temperature, the phase of the moon, and whether you are wearing white socks, so you might be OK, but ...

I kind of jumped the gun in a different thread here recently, commenting on something I thought I knew what I was talking about, so I'm hesitant to assume your level of experience. Have you done a 1 gallon batch like this before? Just a hunch, but I'm thinking once fermentation picks up, you are going to have foam coming out of that jug onto your counter. Primary fermentation is usually done in an open bucket with lots of room for the foam that is going to be produced. Yes the yeast sinks initially, but once it gets going, the CO2 produced creates bubbles and foam and keeps everything suspended. The amount of CO2 and foam depends on the must, the type of yeast, the temperature, the phase of the moon, and whether you are wearing white socks, so you might be OK, but ...
Yes, Im new but I have done grape juice enough to know its relatively save.

I would not fill up that much for guava, pineaple, passion fruit as they create cake at top.

I am going to have to get some white Sox
. . . The amount of CO2 and foam depends on the must, the type of yeast, whether you are wearing white socks,
the original post suggests that there is one way to inoculate, yeast is heavier than water so it should sink, if it does not sink there is enough surface tension to keep it on the top, as the extruded pellets of yeast hydrate they will break apart and turn into individual cells which as Kccam notes produce CO2 and then everything changes since gas will leave.

Its more for display than anything. Something I want to do with it is a small fermentation. I just need to figure out how to put the air lock lol

I got that bottle at a trift store lol

There is even a better one. It's a canadian Chrystal head whiskey

Screenshot_20210606-223154_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Back