White Grape Prep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I am going to making Chardonel and Seyval wines this summer from grapes.

I have read that primary fermentation does not benefit from the grape skins and to press the juice off right away and ferment the juice only.

Is this true? If so - should i not worry about adding pectic?

I have read that primary fermentation does not benefit from the grape skins and to press the juice off right away and ferment the juice only.

Wish I could help you out Jon, but I am more fruit that grapes at the moment but I hope to change that in the future. I have no idea if this is the same but I feel that the wine benefits from contact with the fruit more than just the juice. I think I would still add the peptic because that does aide in clearing. Hopefully Tom or Wade will jump in here to help you out.

Thanks - will do. I know that reds benefit from the skins for the color. But with whites - they don't get a lot of color from the skins - possible extract too many tannins.

Anyway - this is just what i have read - but i thought i would find out from here - as i trust this site more than just googling around :h

Nice compliment,

Like I said, I think Wade or Tom can give you better advice than what I can. Wade is usually on around 8. I think Tom pops in and out all day. I believe he is retired, DAM YOU TOM. That's what I wanna be!

Your right white wine from grapes usually is done by crushing/de-stemming the grapes. Then go straight to the press and press them right away. Since I can't do good temp control on big buckets of juice I let the juice settle out for about 3 hours and then rack off of the heavy pulp/sediment. Then I pitch my yeast of choice after that.

A dose of k-meta after crushing/ de-stemming is usually done to keep the juice from oxidizing. I add 1 quarter teaspoon of k-meta per 6 gallon bucket and stir it into the juice/crushed grapes by hand.

I agree with Racer but wanted to add that you can make a white wine with red grapes if you juice the grapes after harvest and not leave them on their skins. We may try that with some black spanish just to see what we get. We were going to do that with the mustang grapes but changed our minds and used the BdB in the madeira.

e-wine

I always begin with crushing/destemming the whites into a brute or whatever you have. I add k-meta to it and contrary to Wade, add the proper dose of pectic enzyme also then rather than waiting 24 hours(we all do things a bit differently). I then let this set overnight and will press out the following morning to noon time. The sitting time will help aid juice extraction and yield about 10-20% more juice than pressing immediately.

Good luck with it. Chardonnel makes one of my favorite whites. It is a bit tender for here, but I have a good crop coming on this year.

When it comes to working with grapes I step aside to what Grapeman says as he is more knowledgeable in this area but now that I have al the toys Ill start catching up a little! :)

Thanks grapeman - i love working with fruits and grapes - i have actually never done a kit before..

Wade - i am sure you will enjoy it just as much...

Last edited:
Another question - how much water gets added in a 6.5 gallon batch?

Do i do something like 2-3 gallons - or do i just add water up to the 7 gallon mark?

Last edited:
If your asking about needing to add water to your chardonel or seyval must the answer should be no. Both of those grapes should be able to hang long enough to get the #'s correct for wine making. The only time I add water to grape must is if the acidity is way off(too high) and can't be brought back to a good range without getting an off taste from the chemicals needed to reduce the acidity that way.

You should not need to add any water. To do so will dilute the flavor and body of the grape and is unnecessary to balance the wine.

Thanks - i am planning on doing 18 #'s of grapes per pound for both.

Is that sufficient enough to produce enough juice for 6.5 gallons?

I usually use 16 pounds per gallon to help me get close for what to expect from white grapes. Each variety will be a little different but it should be close enough.

Jon if you mean 18 pounds per gallon, yes that is plenty. If you mean 18 pounds per batch, then no it isn't enough. The Chardonel when nice and ripe yield juice very well.

Yeah - sorry if that wasn't clear - i am planning on doing 18 # per gallon. So 7 gallon batch would total 126 #'s.

Last edited:
Would this wines gain anything by adding in toasted french oak chips? If so - do you add them in the primary fermentation - or during bulk again?

I have also read that for the seyval - the acid level should be higher than a chardonel wine - is this true?

The article indicated seyval should be between .75 an .90 and chardonel between .70 and .75.

Last edited:
I tried some oak with the chardonel. It is different than without it- both are very good. I like mine plain better though.

The Seyval will be a bit higher than the Chardonel. The acids you cite are about right to give a good balance for each.

If using chips you usually use them in primary as they have a lot of surface contact and will oak your wine fast, if using cubes or staves or spirals they atre beter during aging as they take longer to give and are much easier to control with tastings.

Latest posts

Back