Quantcast

White Grape Prep

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As the wine is fermenting actively with plenty of sugar it generates it's own heat and goes faster. As yeast levels drop, it slows down because the heat generated drops. With all the C02 being given off, don't worry about no airlock or even getting low. I would wait the extra day to let it get that bit lower. I don't like seeing my wine end up on the floor. I have fermented below 1.00 plenty of times before transfer and nevre had a problem. Just don't leave it dry in the fermenter for long without the airlock. A day will be fine.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
So i check it this morning and the SG is at 1.022 - so hopefully i should be good to rack to the carboy tonight..

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
SG was 1.010 when i got home - right on the money. Racked to carboy to finish fermenting!!!

Seyval is next - picking the grapes on saturday!!

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Looks like you are in good shape. Im a little more anal with whote wines then reds as they can oxidize easier.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Looks like you are in good shape. Im a little more anal with whote wines then reds as they can oxidize easier.
Yeah i know what you men - i could have racked it last night - but i think grapeman was right as far as it overflowing - b/c even now - it is still working pretty good in the carboy.

I also vacuum racked it - so that helps to eliminate O2 exposure - and my sulfite levels are sufficient enough.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Tes, last noght was too early but given your readings all over the place I eered on the safe side.