White Grape Concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newlyretired

Reaction score
I am in to process of making a French rose and instead of using a conditioner/sweetener I would like to try using a white grape concentrate. The one I have has metabisulphite but not potassium sorbate in the concentrate. The plan is rack into a new carboy, test and back sweeten/flavour/ enhance using the white grape concentrate and a pear essence. Will bottle probably in a couple weeks, no hurry.
Do I need to add potassium sorbate?

I previously used a wine conditioner/sweetener that had potassium sorbate on a pies porter and it worked great. Just thought the wine grape concentrate may kick it up a notch.

Unless you've sterile-filtered the wine, the addition of the concentrate brings with it sugar. That sugar will get fermented, unless the acid/alcohol his sufficiently high as to inhibit fermentation - not likely the case for a Rose (at least not one you'd want to drink). I agree you would be better off with concentrate as opposed to a conditioner, but I would use a combo of appropriate sulfite levels and sorbate.

Unless you've sterile-filtered the wine, the addition of the concentrate brings with it sugar. That sugar will get fermented, unless the acid/alcohol his sufficiently high as to inhibit fermentation - not likely the case for a Rose (at least not one you'd want to drink). I agree you would be better off with concentrate as opposed to a conditioner, but I would use a combo of appropriate sulfite levels and sorbate.
Thank you for the quick response, will add some potassium sorbate, the concentrate already has sulphite in it.

Decided to partially follow advise.
about 12 hours before sweetening added 3 tsp of Ksorbate and 1 Camden tablet, next morning racked to new carboy and decanted some to taste test.
decided on 250 mls of white grape conc., 100 mls of conditioner/sweetener and 100 mls of pear essence.
Love the taste and cannot wait, will probably bottle in a couple weeks, all depends on when I can get some more corks, labels and shrink tops.
Thank you everyone for your input

Decided to partially follow advise.
about 12 hours before sweetening added 3 tsp of Ksorbate and 1 Camden tablet, next morning racked to new carboy and decanted some to taste test.
decided on 250 mls of white grape conc., 100 mls of conditioner/sweetener and 100 mls of pear essence.
Love the taste and cannot wait, will probably bottle in a couple weeks, all depends on when I can get some more corks, labels and shrink tops.
Thank you everyone for your input

You didn't say how much wine you are working working with, but the amounts you added don't go together. KSorbate is often 1/2 tsp / gallon, that implies 6 gallons. 1 Camden tablet implies 1 gallon. It is usually 1 / gallon.

I have 5 gallons. re the Camden, if I could avoid I would avoid completely. The last batch of wine I made was a piesporter and added the wine conditioner which already had ksorbate and sulphite in it. That wine turned out excellent and no issues. Because I was adding wine conditioning with the ksorbate and sulphite along with the grape conc. that has sulphite in it I decided to add as minimum as I could. I have a real bad reaction to free sulphite.
Sorry but I will be frank here, I do not like adding anything if not absolutely necessary. I really think that we can over think and over analyze things. The one person I buy my kits from said to me one day, hey 30 years ago, 100 years they just made wine and beer and it was quite good. We now have people, monitoring pH levels, SO2 levels, acid levels etc and guess what it really does not make difference. If you keep things cleans and like your end products who cares just do it.

Latest posts

Back