White chunks in secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s w

Junior
Reaction score
This plum puree with EC 1118, ferment, went so well, started at SG 1.10 and smelled just right then on the 5 day it slowed and started to have a faint sulfer smell so in trying to avoid problems I tested SG, it was 1.01, I have never racked to secondary before .99, but took this chance. I didn't add any K Meta to primary, so added K Meta and sorbate to secondary at this racking. The first day produced chunky stuff and it keeps growing. There is little sediment in the bottom. Is this gross lees from racking early? Or maybe a natural thing that I just haven't seen before. The taste all through this ferment has been great with plenty alcohol right before I racked. It also was clear enough in primary to get a clear hydrometer reading sample, but now it is cloudy and has these white chunks. I've researched and have a headfull of information that isn't connecting for me. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 15975025519336517356492026864725.jpg
    15975025519336517356492026864725.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
IMHO, it was early, but okay, to rack at 1.01x, but you should not have added k-meta or sorbate at this time. Why would you desire to do anything to impede the yeast before fermentation was finished?

I don't know what your chunks are, but I am guessing it is gross lees, being agitated by the CO2 because the fermentation is still active. When you racked into the carboy, how much of the plum puree did you bring over?

Thank you. I racked the primary through a mesh bag and took out tons of sediment. I wanted to stop the ferment because I was afraid that something bad was developing in primary or a bad taste was starting from being on the gross lees. I think I started with too high SG as well and didn't want too high of alcohol. It was my first time using a canned pure, adding too much sugar, 4.5 cups. If experienced people think it's still fermenting I'll watch it for a few more days and maybe it'll start to drop. I think I need reassurance that I didn't totally mess up. Thank you.

I have an idea that maybe I should put it back in a bucket and cover it with mesh cloth again.

How did you add the kmeta and sorbate to the secondary? Potassium sorbate can generate white flakes or particles of sorbic acid if added directly to acidic solution. The particles will eventually dissolve so you can relax.

I disolved both in water then added about halfway through filling the carboy then stirred at the end. I was afraid I'd picked up a nasty in the must because I covered the bucket with two layers mesh cloth and didn't airlock and stirred if twice a day and while I sanitized everything before and during, the must had no treatment. I should've just left it another day or two in primary. It was so tasty I'd have been really bummed if it was bad. Now, if actually looks a wee bit clearer at the top of the carboy so I think it's dropping fine lees as well as dealing with the gross being pushed up by the CO2. It's an amazing process.

You guys were right! The yeast clouds settled and I racked it to another carboy and added disolved Bentonite and k meta today and plan to let it age for weeks, if the sediment gets an inch or more I'll probably rack it again into carboy. I read that this is good practice. The taste is excellent in spite of how ugly it looked with those yeast clouds. SG is 1.01 and I think I like the hint of tart sweetness. Newbies: We're fortunate that experienced people are willing to guide us along this long and wine-ing road of home fermenting.

Attachments

• 15979431224176586184444716018996.jpg
    15979431224176586184444716018996.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Back