White 5 Gallon Buckets... Food Grade?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back to the fermenters...
my standard 6.5gal pail+lid is HDPE
my better bottles are PETE
and my white 10gal brute that i do most of my fermentations in now is LDPE with NSF Std 2 indicated. (NSF/ANSI Standard 2: Food Service Equipment
Equipment commonly known as 'fabricated food equipment': kitchen, bakery, pantry and cafeteria units, and other food handling and processing equipment including tables and components, counters, shelves, sinks, hoods, etc.) with the Brutes, white, grey and yellow are Std 2 food Grade while the red and black are lesser Std 21 (which is approved for food waste and refuse)

Hey William,boy howdy you got a two lane driveway? You go get em..............Upper:)

Nossir... the only way into my place is up a single lane coming up the hill. You can't see my place from the road, but I can see down to the river. If you get real lost and bumble up my drive, you will be greeted. Last ones to bumble were 4 guys drinking store bought whiskey straight from the bottle. We had a little talk... One of them had a pistol... I had an assault rifle... haven't seen anyone else up here since. Nice and quiet up here.

back to the fermenters...
my standard 6.5gal pail+lid is HDPE
my better bottles are PETE
and my white 10gal brute that i do most of my fermentations in now is LDPE with NSF Std 2 indicated. (NSF/ANSI Standard 2: Food Service Equipment
Equipment commonly known as 'fabricated food equipment': kitchen, bakery, pantry and cafeteria units, and other food handling and processing equipment including tables and components, counters, shelves, sinks, hoods, etc.) with the Brutes, white, grey and yellow are Std 2 food Grade while the red and black are lesser Std 21 (which is approved for food waste and refuse)

When you say "brute" do you mean a big bucket? That sounds great... would love to get my hands on a couple of those.
I shy away from colored buckets.
Take care...

HB, how much did you get for his pistol?LOL!! Brute trash cans HB, the greyish ones. Got a brand new 20 gal in the shed bought ready to burn a whole in the wall, it's waiting for spring. They say they work great for a fermenter, and they're pretty cheap too.

brute is a Rubbermaid® Brute. from their commercial products line, the 10 gallon is an ideal size for wine batches. I got mine from a restaurant supply, apparently outback steakhouse around here uses them for food prep. larger ones, usually gray (which is also food grade) are often avail at hardware big box stores, janitorial supply places, etc. you could probably get the 10gal size online too... valley vintner sells them i think.

the 10 gallon is only slightly taller than a 6.5 gal fermenter, but it has two nice beefy handles on the sides, the lid is a loose lid (no gasket), but it makes it easier for me to do daily pushdowns or whatever and then i just transfer to secondary that much sooner.

rubbermaid-brute-9g73-10-gallon-ingredient-bin-with-prosave-lid-and-scoop.jpg
45-885W_bk.jpg

Last edited:
HB, how much did you get for his pistol?LOL!! Brute trash cans HB, the greyish ones. Got a brand new 20 gal in the shed bought ready to burn a whole in the wall, it's waiting for spring. They say they work great for a fermenter, and they're pretty cheap too.

I let him keep it... by the way, it was a nice one... 44mag revolver... looked like a Red Hawk. I think these old boys knew I was a Nam vet during Tet and were just testing me... hope I passed their test.

brute is a Rubbermaid® Brute. from their commercial products line, the 10 gallon is an ideal size for wine batches. I got mine from a restaurant supply, apparently outback steakhouse around here uses them for food prep. larger ones, usually gray (which is also food grade) are often avail at hardware big box stores, janitorial supply places, etc. you could probably get the 10gal size online too... valley vintner sells them i think.

the 10 gallon is only slightly taller than a 6.5 gal fermenter, but it has two nice beefy handles on the sides, the lid is a loose lid (no gasket), but it makes it easier for me to do daily pushdowns or whatever and then i just transfer to secondary that much sooner.

rubbermaid-brute-9g73-10-gallon-ingredient-bin-with-prosave-lid-and-scoop.jpg

That is ONE NICE BUCKET! By the way... I finally got around to checking out my white 5-gallon hardware store specials... they have the number 2 in a triangle with "HDPE" under the 2. Maybe I lucked out... but they are only 5 gallons each.

I let him keep it... by the way, it was a nice one... 44mag revolver... looked like a Red Hawk. I think these old boys knew I was a Nam vet during Tet and were just testing me... hope I passed their test.

Did you at least get the whiskey? :dg

Or was that swill?

It was store bought shee-eet
He got to take it, along with him, I assume.

the brute bucket was ~$15 or so for the 10gal one. great deal. lid was an extra $5.

Yeah, I like a couple of storebought whiskeys. Haven't many from other sources though.

Haha yeah that stuff is pretty bad. I'd rather have the original jack over that.

Yeah that Jack Black, guys got a bad rap, even way up here! Maybe you should have took his pistol, dumped out his booze, then whipped up his butt! Oh oh, can we say butt in here? Should have said assets.

Yeah that Jack Black, guys got a bad rap, even way up here! Maybe you should have took his pistol, dumped out his booze, then whipped up his butt! Oh oh, can we say butt in here? Should have said assets.

Yeah... they probably deserved it, but it might have just been a mistake... and there were 4 of them... I would have had to shoot them, and I absolutely despise all of the paperwork that goes with that.

I was sorta thinkin bout mounting one over my bunk, adding a spigot AND a hose!:d

Save having to get up for a refill!

Hey, long winters here, gotta consider all the angels.:dg

LOL

Troy
:b

In all seriousness HB, alot of people use these Rubbermaids for fermenters. My local home brew shop wants like 35 skins for a plastic 6 gallon fermenting bucket. Hog wash! I could buy two 15 gallon rubbermaid trash cans for that. One to ferment in, and one to wonder what goes in it next.

I was sorta thinkin bout mounting one over my bunk, adding a spigot AND a hose!:d

Save having to get up for a refill!

Hey, long winters here, gotta consider all the angels.:dg

LOL

Troy
:b

Now there's an idea... don't forget the shutoff valve.

Latest posts

Back