White 5 Gallon Buckets... Food Grade?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, CP, youre right and I havent looked at the bottom of my stuff for a long time but PET is #1, HDPE is #2 and PVC is #3

I've been using a 5 gallon mayo bucket since day one. Don't know why, but after I brought it home( Iwashed it twice through the dishwasher at the restaurant first) I poured a box of Baking Soda in there and filled it with boiling water. Rinsed it good and have been using it everysince. It is only for a primary, so obviously it nots going to hold anything for long, for a secondary, I would be absolutely sure you use something designed for alcohol, Better Bottles, etc.

Soo..I brew in a bucket and drink from a mason jar. I may be part hillbilly myself!!!

Troy

Heck, you may have more Hillbilly in you than you know. I am sitting here looking at 3 cases of Mason jars... guess I'll have to figger out somethin' to put in 'em, eh?

Tom says, fill a mason jar with the fruit of your choice, top it off with grain alcohol, don't know where you would find that HB? Cap it and forget about it for a while. Look for his recipe for raspberry cello.
Troy

I've been using a 5 gallon mayo bucket since day one. Don't know why, but after I brought it home( Iwashed it twice through the dishwasher at the restaurant first) I poured a box of Baking Soda in there and filled it with boiling water. Rinsed it good and have been using it everysince. It is only for a primary, so obviously it nots going to hold anything for long, for a secondary, I would be absolutely sure you use something designed for alcohol, Better Bottles, etc.

Soo..I brew in a bucket and drink from a mason jar. I may be part hillbilly myself!!!

Troy

Troy... next year I'll trade you some venison for some moose, elk, or caribou. I usually get 2 or 3 on the hill behind my house... shot one last year sitting on a chair in the kitchen with the back door open. She... I mean He... was delicious.
I would do it this year, but I'm still recuperating from a head-on collision... a drug dealer from 2 counties over lost control and crossed over into my lane. On a 2 lane in WV there's not much room to dodge that kind of a mess. I didn't turn him in... actually didn't know he was a dealer until after the wreck. I'm gonna get his insurance good... broke 11 ribs and fractured my sternum in multiple places. Not my 1st rodeo... seems I can't have a fender bender... it's always a doozie... or else it's nothing.
Anyway... my dog has to look all around to see how many deer are in the yard before she chooses a spot to do her stuff.
Life is good...

Tom says, fill a mason jar with the fruit of your choice, top it off with grain alcohol, don't know where you would find that HB? Cap it and forget about it for a while. Look for his recipe for raspberry cello.
Troy

That'll work... but sugar alcohol is cleaner. The best lookin' gal around here comes up to see if I can help her find something to put in her jar of cherries from time to time. That's all I am going to say...

I still have a couple gallons of Raspberries I picked last summer that are burning a hole in my freezer. I don't have a copper tube contraption available so I will probably have to use Everclear when I get around to it.:d

Sorry about your injury, bad enough to get hurt, but when it's someone elses fault makes it that much worse.

Couple months ago I was helpin a couple fellas move a big air compressor tank and the guy in back lost his grip. It ended up on my foot! It was an accident, but if he had listened to our instruction, thing may have been a different outcome. Just put a shoe on last week for the first time in a while.

Being hurt wasn't the worst part, I had to turn down a job installing antennas for $42.00/hr. That hurt worse then the broken bones in my foot.

But we'll make it.

Life IS good!!
Troy

Yeah, I read about your missing out on that good job on another thread... That Everclear sure is expensive.
You aren't going to make a nice batch of raspberry wine with them?

I would have loved to make wine with them, but it was a crappy raspberry year and thats all I ended up with, summer before that I slayed em, but that was before I got hooked on making wine, sure did make some fine pancake syrup though. LOL Takes alot of berries to make wine with.

Did make some this year with low bush cranberries, and they were hard to catch this year too. Had a hell of a time getting the ferment started, but the gang helped me through it by teaching me how to make a yeast starter instead of just rehydrating the yeast and adding it to it.

Made a batch out of the wild rose petals(from the rose hip bush), it was great, next year I will hire a bunch of kids to collect a whole bunch. It will be the first time I make a huge batch. Like 20 gals or so.

I'll probably use a large Rubbermaid trash can to ferment it in.

Troy

HB, if I am part hillbilly, part hippie, and part Alaskan. Does that make me a "Hillipeekan"? LOL

Yeah, these guys sure know what they're doin' with the wine... that raspberry syrup sounds delicious... hot flapjacks with raspberry syrup on a cold morning... yum.

Gobble Gobble there bro'! LOL Yeah the syrup was outrageous, used raspberries, blueberries, and low bush cranberries mixed. If I knew about wine making then it would have been just as good.

HB, if I am part hillbilly, part hippie, and part Alaskan. Does that make me a "Hillipeekan"? LOL

I was in high school and college in the 60's and 70's... turned down a ride to Woodstock... it rained like hell the whole time, but everybody still talks about it as being the greatest event of the era for the movement. You should talk to someone who was there... what they can remember was a nightmare.
How old are you? Were you there? You know what I mean.

Just turned 43. Lots and lots of hippies(and vets from the era here), so I have met several people who were at Woodstock and they agree. Been around them so long I am part hippie myself.LOL I may be a young hippie, but a hippie none the less.

Gobble Gobble there bro'! LOL Yeah the syrup was outrageous, used raspberries, blueberries, and low bush cranberries mixed. If I knew about wine making then it would have been just as good.

Troy... speaking of "Gobble, Gobble," last Thanksgiving (of all days) my wife and I were sitting out back and counted 41 turkeys walking along the hill behind the house. It was so beautiful that I never once thought about reaching in the door and grabbing a gun... well, maybe I did think about it once or twice, but I didn't do it.

Just turned 43. Lots and lots of hippies(and vets from the era here), so I have met several people who were at Woodstock and they agree. Been around them so long I am part hippie myself.LOL I may be a young hippie, but a hippie none the less.

Gotcha... time knows no bounds... more power to you bro. Always a hoot to chat with you...
Think I'm gonna watch the last part of this football game... Nawlins' is whippin' the Patriots...
Catch you tomorrow, Troy.

We had a thread going and hunting came up. I have been here over 30 yrs and spend several of those living in the bush. I have killed thousands of animals, but don't think I have ever hunted in my life. I , like you, dig just seeing them. Never understood why Turkeys don't make it here. They tried to transplant Pheasants here a while ago, they didn't make it, but the Foxes and the Martens were happy.LOL

They are ready to relaese Wood Bison back into the wild here next year. They were here like 100 yrs ago. If the crazy Natives don't blast them all, we may have them repopulated in the wild again.

Heres a thread for you to jump into.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5206

Troy

Hey William,boy howdy you got a two lane driveway? You go get em..............Upper:)

Latest posts

Back