Which yeast should I use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna pitch a batch of strawberry banana this evening. my lil shop didn't have cotes de blanc. I have Premiere cuvee or K1-V1116, which do you recommend?
Teoy

1116, BUT MAKE SURE YOU ADD NUTRIENTS. iS GOOD FOR FRESH FRUIT WHITE WINES ACCORDING TO LALVIN.

Thanks Tom, heres my next dilemma, my lil shop didn't have any nutrient left. Have some coming in on Monday. This batch is ready for yeast. Should I pitch it and add the nutrients on Monday? Will I be okay without it?
Please Advise.
Troy
:b

Its OK. Adding the nutrient will just help the yeast to "cook" faster. Pitch it and add nutrient Monday. Another reason to get Nutrient, Pectic Enzyme, Acid Blend and Sorbate by the POUND! :r

I hear ya there Tom, I am hooked enought hat I should start looking into it by the pound, especially K-meta. I did have a lil energizer I stired in.
T

If you looked in my "beer/wine" fridge you will see 12 RC212, 5 D47, 3 1118, 2 1116, 2 Montrachert,2 Premier Cuvee,6 Cote des Blancs a dozen or so beer yeast
all JUST IN CASE ! :h :b

About the same here with yeasts in the fridge, lbs of k-meta and Na-meta. Nutriet and energizer I alwas have a full 4oz container of and also ascorbic acid. Always have at least 2 packs of SuperKleer, a few thermohydromters, acid, ph, and S02 test kit.

My favorite is EC1118 Champagne yeast for fruit wines or any white wine. It has never let me down.

If you looked in my "beer/wine" fridge you will see 12 RC212, 5 D47, 3 1118, 2 1116, 2 Montrachert,2 Premier Cuvee,6 Cote des Blancs a dozen or so beer yeast
all JUST IN CASE ! :h :b

I thought I would ask what your opinion of the D47 is. I'm using it for the first time tonight on a frozen fruit concentrate and I really don't know what to expect.

(thing is...I have a dozen packets of yeast here.. 1118, 212 and just one D47... so I figured, what the hell, lets give this a try. I've made a batch with this before but used the 1118. Turned out great in a very short time.)

Last edited:
If thats all you have use it.
D47 is used for whites like Pinot Grigio. If you have other yeast Try Cote des Blancs, Lalvin 1116 or 1118.

Definitely not a white that it's working on :h Fifteen cans of strawberry fruitopia frozen concentrate in a 23 litre carboy, 8 tsp of citric acid...I guess about 3.5 kilos of sugar but I'll figure that out tomorrow when I get the scale out *laugh*

I'll post a report on how it turns out in a few months.

That's the thing.. I already pitched the D47. It's been roughly 36 hours and the clouds of yeast are really starting to get thick. Lots of small bubbles forming and a nice layer of foam on the top, but not thick (maybe 1 cm tall.)

bit of an update... the D47 is very vigorous ! It's churning away like a category 5 hurricane right now.. counted 75 bubbles in 30 seconds on the airlock. I made a batch of the same frozen concentrate before with the EC-1118 but it wasn't nearly this powerful. Smells good so far :D

Sounds good. Keep us posted. Bet in 2 days it will be time to rack @ 1.015.

Latest posts

Back