Which yeast for Marquette?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
As the title suggests....Which yeast should I use for Marquette wine? Thanks!

I have made Marquette using a variety of wine yeasts but the best, in my opinion is Lalvin 7122B, which gives a nice mildly fruity wine that is very popular with guests who try it. Marquette is relatively low in nose and flavour profiles and 7122B seems best in compensating for this. Also, 7122B metabolizes some malic acid but the wine must also be allowed to undergo malolactic fermentation for best results. I also add some supplemental tannin (Tan'cor Grand Cru, or QuerPlus or Quertanin Sweet) several months before bottling (one year after vintage) and leave in bottle for at least 4 months before drinking.

Marquette is also typically light in color and low in body and tannin. I've used rc212, D254 and D80 with it and been happy with the results. I also follow AF with MLF and barrel aging for a year. This year's batch was a split between D254 and D80.

71 B is what I've used for Marquette. Chews up some of the malic acid (before the MLB need to get to work) and gives a lovely fruit profile.

Latest posts

Back