Other Which wine to top up carboy for fruit wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a rhubarb wine, strawberry/rhubarb is fantastic. If you have to go commercial then as Bryan said a very light white; strawberry is very delicate. I would stay away from other fruit wines (except for the rhubarb) they will steal the show.

I did that for many years, but recently top up to 23 liters. It's a lot less hassle, and I'm getting seriously lazy in my old age.
;)
Talk about lazy, before I started topping up, I'd rack extra to smaller jugs then basically forget about them. I probably was losing 50% of these anyway, so topping up became a no-brainer. I've embraced my laziness and haven't looked back.

I decided I was racking more than necessary so topping up is my preferred method too.
I find that I waste more wine during racking when I've got a bunch of containers. When doing kits, having everything in a single 23 liter carboy makes life far simpler. Plus if I use the K&C, after I rack I don't have to do anything other than add K-meta every 3 months.

@Mdrew, I suspect you're getting answers to questions you didn't expect ... ;)

All this is internet gold. I like to think of forums as both q&a plus discussion. And frequently, people digress into things that I’ve also experienced, and am interested in. Asked and answered! Now what other fun things can we chat about?!

Now on this other forum, the the Original Post was about which ball bearing to use for their turntable rebuild. Oooohhhh boy did that get into minutiae. Pages and pages of lube bearings space material and exotic stuff. Great bathroom reading! Entertaining relatable (to people that look at forums like that) and educational. Oo and 99% folks sound smarter than me. I bet 50/50 actually are. Heh. I like to think I’m smart enough to go ask someone else! Then sift through “answers.”

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/turntable-bearing-ball-source.384286/

I recently started this kit
https://labelpeelers.com/wine-makin...kits/frutta-series/oh-so-strawberry-wine-kit/
My 6G carboy is a bit shy of where I’d like the level up the neck. Any suggestions on what type of wine I should use to top it up?

thanks!
I use an All-In-One wine pump to pull a vacuum. Topping up isn’t necessary if you wine is under a vacuum. I also determine the amount of water to add at the beginning by SG, that way I can get the approximate alcohol I want.

I use an All-In-One wine pump to pull a vacuum. Topping up isn’t necessary if you wine is under a vacuum. I also determine the amount of water to add at the beginning by SG, that way I can get the approximate alcohol I want.

I'm very interested in your experience with the AIO headspace eliminator. How long have you had a wine under vacuum for and how much headspace was there? You haven't noticed any negative effect to the wine? I actually have a couple of these headspace eliminators but I'm very conflicted on how to use them effectively. After speaking with the owner of AIO it seems like these aren't meant for long term bulk aging.

After speaking with the owner of AIO it seems like these aren't meant for long term bulk aging.
Steve is well respected and his support of the AiO is top notch. I would accept his judgment on the topic.

Generally speaking, it's possible to degas a wine too much, and it makes sense that subjecting a wine to long term vacuum would do that.

This afternoon I racked a Chocolate Raspberry Port and transferred into a 3 gallon carboy. The wine level was a bit short ... I was sipping a Rioja ... so I topped up with 4 oz of the Rioja. With dessert wines and heavy reds it's easier to select a topup wine, as 4 oz in 384 oz will never be noticed.

I'm very interested in your experience with the AIO headspace eliminator. How long have you had a wine under vacuum for and how much headspace was there? You haven't noticed any negative effect to the wine? I actually have a couple of these headspace eliminators but I'm very conflicted on how to use them effectively. After speaking with the owner of AIO it seems like these aren't meant for long term bulk aging.
I do bottle aging so the max time under AIO headspace eliminator is probably 8-10 weeks. I haven’t had any problem.
P.S. Steve is great. I’m 74 with a bad back. I don’t think I could still make wine if it wasn’t for Steve and his AIO pump!

If you have a rhubarb wine, strawberry/rhubarb is fantastic. If you have to go commercial then as Bryan said a very light white; strawberry is very delicate. I would stay away from other fruit wines (except for the rhubarb) they will steal the show.

My friend, who inspired me to make wine, makes a strawberry/rhubarb that is 'to die for'!
In fact, I'm going to say that the wine led me to make wine, no doubt!

Last edited:
My friend, who inspired me to make wine, makes a strawberry/rhubarb that is 'to die for'!
In fact, I'm going to say that the wine led me to make wine, no doubt!
I only have one bottle left. The rhubarb and strawberries didn't do well last year. I have bought frozen strawberries but loathe to buy rhubarb.

Latest posts

Back