Other Which vendor do you recommend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anodari

Reaction score
Which vendor do you recommend. Competitive pricing with shipping. Northen Brewer offers $7.99, but not on kits.

Anodari, my personal experience is that The Wine Maker's Toy Store in Texas is the best I have found. I think you can find lower prices but I base my decision on prices, shipping, customer service and "one stop shopping." George runs monthly specials and a 10% discount for "club members" so you don't get hurt on pricing. I live in mid-Ohio and have had no problem whatsoever dealing with Texas.

Anodari, my personal experience is that The Wine Maker's Toy Store in Texas is the best I have found. I think you can find lower prices but I base my decision on prices, shipping, customer service and "one stop shopping." George runs monthly specials and a 10% discount for "club members" so you don't get hurt on pricing. I live in mid-Ohio and have had no problem whatsoever dealing with Texas.

I agree but its mainly because he's just down the street from me. :r

Can't beat no shipping and a big ole store to browse. Speaking of which, I need to make it over to his new and improved store to checkout all the available goodies.

Winemakers toy store for me too. Although I do live in Texas it is 300 miles from me. IMHO its all about fair price and service. I call George at least once a month for advice. Dont be shocked if he sells you down and tell you that you dont need something. His kit suggestions have always been right on target.

I recommend any of the vendors that support this site! Look on the home page and look at our "Vendors List"!

"I agree but its mainly because he's just down the street from me.
rockin.gif
"

Southlake, as much as I like dealing with George and his guys, it is better that they are not "just down the street from me!" I am in enough trouble as it is with my spending on this "hobby" and if they were that close, my Bride would have an ankle monitor on me or maybe a dog collar that zapped me when I walked through George's door. :)

<whispering so I don't get into trouble -again->

I detest 'join my club' gimmicks and tiered pricing schemes ...

Midwest supplies has been my goto supplier for quite a while. When they don't have what I need, I look at Presque Isle and Morewine. I really -should- try out the winemakers toy store at some point - people praise George endlessly. There must (pun intended) be a reason :)

Honestly, if it weren't for tiered pricing, I probably would have tried them a long time ago. I also find the web site a bit of a PITA, but that's not a real factor.

Have a look at Label Peelers: http://labelpeelers.com/ . They often have sales and you just missed their 20%-off July 4th sale. Also, first time buyers get an additional 10%-off.

Tony P.

Wow, 'web site unavailable' on my first attempt to visit ...

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no fee to join the FVW "Growers club" Just sign up and thereafter you get 10% off everything. If its on sale you get the sale price plus another 10% off. Its basically a customer loyalty program. I use them as well and I am 700 miles away. I can order a kit on Wednesday morning, it will ship out the same day if its in stock and I will have it by Saturday. That is good service. That is what keeps me coming back. Not gimmicks.

<whispering so I don't get into trouble -again->

I detest 'join my club' gimmicks and tiered pricing schemes ...

Midwest supplies has been my goto supplier for quite a while. When they don't have what I need, I look at Presque Isle and Morewine. I really -should- try out the winemakers toy store at some point - people praise George endlessly. There must (pun intended) be a reason :)

Honestly, if it weren't for tiered pricing, I probably would have tried them a long time ago. I also find the web site a bit of a PITA, but that's not a real factor.

Last edited:
IMO, a vendor should be earning my loyalty, not making me earn something from. Sorry, that's just the way I look at business/customer relationships.

Labelpeelers is my first go to...they price match and will even beat shipping on that item vs the competitor. Just give them a call tell them the site you found a lower price, they pull it up, confirm (will even CALL the competitor to get an official item#) and VOILA! They offer specials quite frequently and have always been most helpful!!

I use George at FVW all the time. I am about 30 minutes from Midwest and Northern Brewer, but find I have a lot more choices and it's cheaper with George (even with shipping). I don't go to Midwest anymore after pre ordering some Limited Kits from them and it turned out to be a huge cluster (but hey they did give me a really nice $0.25 corkscrew!!). Northern Brewer is good but expensive.

Here's my take on loyalty programs FWIW. I owned (past tense, thank my lucky stars) a chain of Hallmark card shops. Hallmark offered a loyalty program that was free to all customers just for signing up and it amounted to 5% back on purchases quarterly. On the other hand, some stores (Barns and Nobels and others) charge you to become a "member" and get discounts. Sorry but I will not pay anyone for the privilege of being a loyal customer. As far as FVW's Grwoers Club I didn't think you had to make any level of purchase but only had to sign up to get the discounts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tony,

Your absolutely correct. Not sure when this happened but what a "no-brainer" incentive program it is today. I just amended my previous post. It's like that commercial for Capital One Cash Back Rewards with Jimmy Fallon. Who doesn't like cash back! Guess there is always somebody who would rather pay FULL MSRP!

video_capital_one_cash_card_graphs_commercial_1318575964.jpg

Latest posts

Back