Which stage is better to leave for a few days - primary or secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amandolin

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm doing my first batch using a Wild Grapes Merlot kit and adding a reserve (flavor) pack a friend had leftover from one of their kits. (Black Raspberry Merlot - I figure at least if the wine itself is "meh" it'll at least be fruity?)

The stats:
Current stage: primary fermentation, day 8 (instructions said 14 days)
Starting SG 1.0899
Current SG .996

The next step in the kit is to rack it and stir in Potassium Metabisulphite and Potassium Sorbite, de-gas it and stir in Kieselsol, leave sit for 24 hours and then stir in the reserve and Chitosan. I assume also top it up but the kit doesn't mention that. Note: I can't use the Chitosan because I'm allergic to shellfish.

The dilemma:
I am leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday night. Then gone again Tuesday night.

Should I:
1. Leave it in primary for 3 or 4 more days until I can do all of that, including the 24 hour sit
2. Rack it, de-gas it and add the P.M. and P.S. then let it sit until Sunday and then add the reserve and top it up
3. Rack it, add everything now, and call it good for secondary fermentation
4. Something else?

Ah, dangit. I needed to make a decision before sleeping so just finished racking and added the kmeta and ksorbate. Should I de-gas and let sit, then? Add the fpac and Kieselol and top up next week?

Ok cool. Is there anything I should test when I re-open it in a week to add the Kies and fpac and top up? Or just trust that it's probably fine?

Ah, dangit. I needed to make a decision before sleeping so just finished racking and added the kmeta and ksorbate. Should I de-gas and let sit, then? Add the fpac and Kieselol and top up next week?
A general rule, if the fermentation is done you could degas.
With a gravity of .996 I would expect a little more respiration so it would be a waste of time. Anyway it will preserves better in the secondary with a slight CO2 blanket. Time is on your side!

Thanks you guys! I have it in a carboy in a dark closet with an airlock. There's quite a bit of headroom which makes me wonder if I filled the bucket up far enough or should have tried harder to siphon the wine from the sludge on the bottom. Will add the rest of the things and de-gas in a week and hope for the best!

Latest posts

Back