Which program do you use to create your labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are lots out there. Curious to see what others use.

I recently downloaded GIMP, and can see it's going to take a while to learn.

So what has anyone else used? I realize this can go from simple to PHOTOSHOP complicated.

So, do tell!

Troy

I use Paint Shop Pro. Its a lot like Photoshop without as many frills and much less expensive.

Works well for me.

Mostly Acrobat & Photoshop. Used AutoCAD once or twice.

Last edited:
My wife is making the labels, I set her up with paint.net. Very good editor for windows. and Free! Unfortunately doesn't work in linux, I suppose gimp might be the best solution there, or possibly you might use Krita.

http://www.getpaint.net/

I know it's not very fancy, simple in fact, but I'm using the 1 x 2 1/2 mailing labels for now. Free download program with templates you can modify. Easy way to provide a basic description and bottling date. 30 stickers to a sheet, perfect for 6 gallons.
But...I can see something more elaborate in the near future, because this batch of pineapple is looking like something I would want to dress up a little bit. Actually kind of excited about it. Up until now, it hasn't really mattered that much.

I use Photoshop CS and Microsoft Picture It. I only know a few commands with Photoshop but mot other programs dont have these features but Micro is way easier and does most the stuff I need. I print them out on pregummed label paper and use the Avery template in Word to do that. I just copy the picture into Words Avery labe 6 per sheet at 3.33" x 4"

I use Print Shop. Old butt, works for me..:db

You guys using avery labels and such. Do they come off easily? I haven't had mine in the sink yet.

I dont use them. I print 6 to a page like Wade. I print them on ex white paper and take to Staples for laser color copy. I cut them and use a glue stick to apply to the bottle. Super easy to remove and ink don't run.

Who me?
.49 a sheet of 6 = 2.50 total for 30 labels

I dont use them. I print 6 to a page like Wade. I print them on ex white paper and take to Staples for laser color copy. I cut them and use a glue stick to apply to the bottle. Super easy to remove and ink don't run.

Tom,
I use Staples laser printers as well but take my file in on a media card so there's no loss in quality from my ink jet printer.

I've got "paint.NET" and "gimp", both seem like tough nuts to crack. Gimp seems way deep like Photoshop. Paint not so bad, but I have spend a whole bunch of time and still has me baffled. They are both open source and of cource all the help files are online. Would be way easier to learn I suspect if you had a user manual infront of you.

Both of these seem like great programs for image manipulation, but as far as I can tell, way to involved for making labels.

Troy

I have been using a free (open source) application called, "Inkscape" ( http://www.inkscape.org ) for some time now. It is not as complex as The GIMP or Photoshop, but it is has a host of advanced features not available in applications like MS Paint, etc.
I use regular 20 pound printer paper and an Elmer's adhesive product called,"Multipurpose Spray Adhesive" ( http://www.elmers.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?item=113&sectionid=1&catid=1# ). It works well as an adhesive and clear coat. We served 22 bottles of White Concord wine that I had just bottled for our son's wedding rehearsal dinner and received several positive comments about the labeling as well as the wine. I have been able to remove the labels using an overnight soak in "Super Grunge Remover".

I use a dymo labelmaker..

very basic.. wine type and the date bottled.
due to issues caused by my bloke deleting the photoshop etc..I have given up on creating proper labels for my wines.

at least this way i know what's in the bottles..

Allie

I think there's probably a learning curve for all these programs, some more than others, but once you learn the general concepts using one, quite a bit of what you have learned will apply to other programs. Somebody posted a link to an avery free application a while back. I downloaded that, and it's pretty easy as well.

While I can open up most paint applications and find my way around, I am about as artistic as a wet rock. Luckily I married an artist, and she is interested in creating the labels.

So far she has used the scanner to scan sketches from her sketchbook, and then used paint.net to manipulate them into a label. We haven't printed any of them yet. I assume I'll be responsible for making sure it's the right size, etc.

Latest posts

Back