Which one you prefer to back sweeten, sugar or juice concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today, I am going to try adding some sweet to my red blend. I was decided to use plain white sugar (easier??), but am also considering juice concentrate.

My red blend is stabilized.

Based on the contents of this blend (look at my signature) I am not sure which juice concentrate I "should" use, perhaps just plain grape juice (white, red??)....but at the same rate I was wondering about a different flavor, strawberry maybe??

My wine is VERY clear now and if I back sweeten today I'd rack some left over sediments.

What do you guys recommend?

With that particular blend, I would go with plain sugar dissolved in some of the wine.

You could always split it up and try different juices, or do a few bench trials with different stuff.

I personally wouldn't want to risk 24g without first doing some trials.

Here is what I do. I pipette 100ml of the wine into separate clear cups. Then I weigh out 0.5 gram, 1 gram and 1.5 grams of table sugar and stir into each to make three different samples. Taste each and pick your favorite and calculate the amount for the full batch based on your favorite. Has worked well.

I'll almost bet if you add strawberry, you will get a haze in your wine. Then it will be a trick to get it to clear. If you are going to use it, try a small amount in a quart or so first. Bet it will turn cloudy and from my experience it doesn't clear very fast if at all. Arne.

saddlebronze said:
Here is what I do. I pipette 100ml of the wine into separate clear cups. Then I weigh out 0.5 gram, 1 gram and 1.5 grams of table sugar and stir into each to make three different samples. Taste each and pick your favorite and calculate the amount for the full batch based on your favorite. Has worked well.

I have always loved using the scientific method for backsweetening as you. I go a step further and I test using honey, brown sugar, Caro (adds a touch of vanilla) or Eagle or Oh Boy syrup

Latest posts

Back