RJ Spagnols Which kit is better?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
If you had to make it.....
Cru select California pinot noir or en primeur Australia pinot noir with skins?

I know usually the skins are better, but is that true with the pinot noirs? Seems most kit makers leave them out.

Anyone make one or the other?

EP are Spagnols 'top of the line' kits. I'd expect them to be better.

Thanks, boatboy. Just wanted to make sure. I am looking to get a pinot noir kit really soon.

EP Pinot we've made and it's great. Can't say for the other, but we've moved from cru up to EP as we bought kits as the tastes were much better.

Dans, i read your thread about being unsuccessful making red kits, which is unfortunate. However, i don't seem to have that problem and think both my reds and whites come out really nice. So, yes, to me it is worth the money. I can't speak for everyone here, but i am sure many forum members agree.

Thanks so far to everyone who posted. I think i will order my kit later tonight. I am actually leaning towards the cru select. Something is just drawing me to it, even without skins.

Last edited:
Dans, i read your thread about being unsuccessful making red kits, which is unfortunate. However, i don't seem to have that problem and think both my reds and whites come out really nice. So, yes, to me it is worth the money. I can't speak for everyone here, but i am sure many forum members agree.

Thanks so far to everyone who posted. I think i will order my kit later tonight. I am actually leaning towards the cru select. Something is just drawing me to it, even without skins.
Skip K-sorbate and let kit manufacturer know about what works for you. Best of luck.

I did the Winery Series(which I understand has since become the En Primeur Winery Series) Australia Pinot Noir. Not sure if the new kit is any different. It's almost a year old, and it tastes excellent. I skipped all of the chemicals (except k-meta), and bulk aged for 9 months before bottling. Again, tastes fantastic.

tbayav8er, thanks for the review....glad to hear the positive results! So at around one year, do you think it is drinkable yet, or do you plan on aging to the 18-24 month range?

Dans, when i first started i followed the kit to a T....just to get my feet wet. But, now i will not use the ksorbate since i only make drys. It just seems the ksorbate could cause possible flavor issues to some. No need to risk it if i don't need it in the first place.

Last edited:
E.P has my vote. Haven't made a bad one yet.
If you are not sweetening I would definitely say not to use the sorbate that's included in kits. I just toss that lil additive aside (except for some of the whites that have a fruit pak that's to be added in the secondary)

While not dispositive, the EP kit ranks at #74 in Winemaker Magazine's Top 100 (and top Pinot Noir entry). They're objectively scored, but, there's no indication whether the winemaker made any significant changes to the kit in the process. Since good wines start with a good base, I think this would be my place to start with a PN kit.

If anyone wants the pile of sorbate packets I collected over the last couple years, I'll see if I can dig them up. I also have a tall stack of labels that were included in the kits...

If anyone wants the pile of sorbate packets I collected over the last couple years, I'll see if I can dig them up. I also have a tall stack of labels that were included in the kits...

LOL! I love the kit labels. They come off so easily!

Latest posts

Back