WineXpert which kit for Chardonnay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntexas

Junior
Reaction score
I'm just getting started in this enterprise. Have decided to go with a kit to learn the process first. Which kit do you guys like for a good slightly woody Chardonnay? Also do home winemakers ever use wood barrels to "oak" there wines? Where do you get them? Can't wait to get started.

We have access to many wild grapes here in Texas along the Red River. Where do I find a SIMPLE WAY too process them?

Thanks for the help. Ntexas.

Welcome to the Fine Vine Wines' forum.

First, if you are just getting started, I recommend beginning with one of the Vintner's Reserve 7.5 liter kits. It will make a good wine. The 15 abd 16 liter kits will make a better bottle, but they require longer aging periods, especially for the Chards. All of the kits make 30 bottles, but the Vintners Reserve will give you more immediate satisfaction.

Oak barrels are used by some home wine makers, but not very many. They are a lot of trouble and extremely high maintenance. I would not ever recommend them to a beginner. Instead, you can use oak cubes when you age your wine to get virtually the same oak taste, without the hassle.

I am not aware of a "simple way" to process grapes. With all fresh ingredients, you will need to cull them to make sure you are only getting good sound ingredients. Then you have to clean, de-stem and crush. After that, you will need to balance your sugar and acid. At that time, you are ready to "pitch" the yeast. The nice thing about the kits is that the kit manufacturer does all of the hard work, so all you have to do is add water and the yeast.

I should also point out that a lot of the native American grapes, especially the Mustangs found in Texas are extremely high in acid. As a result, you will need to work hard to lower the acid level.

Latest posts

Back