Which (common) varietals get red leaves in fall?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
Which varietals get red leaves in the fall? I have Cabernet Sauvignon planted and some plants get a few red leaves but only a very small percent, and not even the whole vine.

Tempranillo is the only variety that displays red leaves in fall ... That I know of. If it's just a few vines maybe look into red blotch disease it's typical with unsanitary grafting procedures

Tempranillo is the only variety that displays red leaves in fall ... That I know of. If it's just a few vines maybe look into red blotch disease it's typical with unsanitary grafting procedures
Wrong, carmenere turns reddish orange hence it's name meaning crimson....

Alicante Bouschet turns dark purple.

Not looking for a disease ID. I’m wanting to expand my vineyard and I’d like to have some variation to look at. I’ll look into Tempranillo.
Thanks

Not looking for a disease ID. I’m wanting to expand my vineyard and I’d like to have some variation to look at. I’ll look into Tempranillo.
Thanks
Tempranillo is wonderful ... Great foliage I'll take some pictures later and post them.

Tempranillo is wonderful ... Great foliage I'll take some pictures later and post them.
And if done right makes a great wine. If it's not managed well it's hot tasting and out of balance and generally awful.

I was picking Merlot last weekend and saw a few vines with bright red leaves. It was a small minority of them so not sure why.
Thats normal, im talking on these vines the leaves turn before you harvest. On carmenere its always reddish orange a brilliant color, and Alicante Bouschet is dark purple.

They are not common, but most Teinturier varieties turn their leaves red:

220px-Kolor_Weinsberg_20071016.jpg

If anyone has a lead on a variety like this for zone 5 please post it. Google turned up only zone 6 or higher. That looks amazing.

Dipped into the 20's overnight, and by midday all of those red leaves had fallen off.

Back