WHEW! No wine lost due to earthquake this AM

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Ok we had a 5.6 earthquake over just north of Shawnee, Okalhoma. It woke me up and rattled our curio cabinet for well over a minute. As I was getting ready to shower I thought --What if the wine bottles rattled off the shelf?? OH NO !!!

Nope all safe here in NW Arkansas but that was A whole lotta shakin goin on!

Anyone out there feel that one. As of now 5.6 is the tied for the strongest quake in the last 24 hours I think. On a serious note - Thankfully we haven't experienced lately in the US anything like did Italy this past week.

Glad the wine is safe, oh, and you too :)

I grew up in southern California. 4 and 5 magnitude earthquakes were like getting free E Ticket rides at Disneyland. But 6 and higher, now that would get our attention.

Last edited:
Yeah, I lived in Southern CA for 8 years and during that time I only felt one tremor that shook my bed. Thought the dog was rubbing the bed. Called her name and then she walked in the room (I was about 11) WHOA! Got up went to living room and my Mom and Dad laughed at my reaction.

Hard to believe that the difference between 5.6 (Ours this morning) and 6.2 (Italy last week) could be so vastly different. But the the scale is logarithmic (Like the pH scale) so in reality the quake in Italy was 4 times more powerful.

Does anybody else find it really alarming that you are experiencing earthquakes like this when it is quite clear they are being caused by fracking.......

There is some evidence to support that claim ( http://www.cbsnews.com/news/strong-oklahoma-earthquake-nebraska-texas/ - BUT that's off the scope of this board and rather than indulge in a war of facts or claims etc. I'd prefer to just be happy that there was no damage and that my wine making can continue. Didn't mean to stir a pot that doesn't need stirring.

Last edited:
Happy that you, your family and wine are all okay.

It was maybe 1964 or 65 when, as a young Marine stationed in Southern California (MCAS El Toro), I experienced my first earth quake. As I recall it only lasted a few seconds and only caused minor damage to a few items set near the edge of shelving and such. Thankfully it was over before I fully realized what I had just experienced.

I live just to the Southeast of Wichita, Kansas in a small farming town. I have to say, the quake this morning was THE first earthquake I have ever felt in my life, and I have lived here for all of my 51 years. It was truly a strange experience! I happened to be sitting in my den and the washer and dryer in the room next to me started making noise like they were off balance. The trouble was, they were not running. I had no idea what was happening until I saw the television that I was watching start shaking...

I have a rhubarb sitting on top of the chest freezer in the basement. It's on it's last couple of days in primary. I sure am glad it didn't get knocked off. It's for my dad's 75th birthday next August.

I find it ironic that you could have lost life and limb but were only concerned about your wine! You, my friend, are inspiring! LOL!

I find it ironic that you could have lost life and limb but were only concerned about your wine! You, my friend, are inspiring! LOL!

Hey, After the earthquake was over THEN I was concerned about the wine. But to be honest I woke up to the earthquake and It wasn't that strong here - no damage in our area (150 miles from the epicenter). This isn't California, or Italy or Turkey where the really nasty ones happen. So really I wasn't too worried - what do you do? Light your hair on fire and run around in circles? It's not like a tornado or hurricane where you can get into a shelter or leave the area.

There hasn't been enough time during an earthquake for me to light my hair on fire and run around - but that's definitely my reaction afterwards. I prefer the classic "dive into the nearest door jam!" routine. We had a series of quakes earlier this summer around bedtime, and that made for a rough couple days! I'm glad you're ok and all is well.

Yeah, First I had to realize it WAS an earthquake - In Northwest Arkansas ??? After a groggy 20 seconds of trying figure it out the 'light' went on This is really an earthquake. By that time the heavy shaking was gone and it was just the curio cabinet items rattling -still enough to keep ones attention.

Funny that we do get small ones here especially in the last half-dozen years - almost all centered in Oklahoma with us feeling the shake. But I've never been still enough at the right time to feel it I guess.

Too bad I didn't have any wine in fermentation the needed stirring? :db
I do have some that had some debris on the side of the carboy - guess I should see if the quake knocked it off.

Latest posts

Back