Whew - done racking (for awhile!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Well, my brother-in-law visited last night and asked if I had anything that needed to be done in the winery. Wrong question - I said I had a few bottles to rack off the oak (7 weeks on oak) - he said "let's get'r done". So we did. Ended up with 7 carboys of syrah in american. french and hungarian oaks. also, 3+ carboys of Merlot in french and american oaks, and 1 cab with 0 oak.

20081222_115507_DSC01621.JPG

We had to taste each batch (because of the different oaks) of course. There are definate differences - interesting. There is even 1 carboy of each without any oak at all and it is good as well. They were all quite good - young of course - (early september picked) - and hopefully will age nicely.

Then, my lovely wife, brought us out chili and cornbread for dinner and gee we had to have a glass of wine with the meal and it was pretty good. Sure glad that wine goes with all foods!!!

Wife had to drive brother-in-law home last night too!! (only 6 miles away fortunately!!)

Anyway, have to add 1/4 tsp of meta this morning yet and just a little cleaning left and paperwork and then we are done for a few months - except for the occasional tasting - bulk aging minimum of 4 months - then fining and filtering and bottling - - - - -

have a chaiti and a valpochella kit to start too - if I can get the temp up!!

Merry Christmas all and have a safe one!!!

rrawhide

Edited by: rrawhide

Isn't it terrible when you are forced to do such work?! Do you have any gas in those for topping up? If not , I would top up to the necks to cut down on surface area exposure. I had to do the same job Saturday but I was all alone and only had a half dozen or so carboys to do.

The low level of wine in the carboys is what they 'siphoned off'...

Nice bunch of carboys....wine sounds great!!!!

thanx for the comeback Appleman - -

UPDATE -----

Here is the updated photo from the racking last night - - -

20081222_135323_DSC01947.JPG

HOWEVER - had a situation this morning - - - -

Went out a little while ago to add the meta to the carboys and when I went into the winery it was very warm - the heater was left on overnight. About 8-9 hours. As you can see from the thermometer it was up over 75. And there was wine in the most airlocks. It is down to about 65 now and will be going back down to 48-55 soon. Temp in some of the carboys was about 70!

I added the meta this am - 1/4 tsp to each and cleaned up the mess. What, if anything, happened or will happen to this wine?

Please say nothing will happen!!!

This is a hard lesson - so be careful everyone!!!!!

Thanx
rrawhide

I hope that nothing will happen to your babies. That would be a lot of hard work to lose. I'll keep my fingers crossed. What do you put in your airlocks rrawhide? If its vodka, glycerine, or campden solution then you should be alright.

The wine expands quite a bit when going fro 40-70 degrees. As long as you cleaned out the airlocks of any overflowed wine, there won't be any ill- effects from the temporary temp increase. Just one of those things that happens when you have a couple too many carboys to sample.

Remember as the wine cools back down, it will lower in the carboy again and could draw a bit of whatever you have in the airlock into the wine. That's why I said to make sure you cleaned the airlocks after the mishap. If I know the wine level will be decreasing, I will fill it with Vodka so that when it is drawn in , it won't contaminate anything. I then refill the airlock with the vodka once the wine level has stabilized.

P.S. They look very nice all lined up nice and neat!Edited by: appleman

Hey guys, thanx

I always put a potassium solution in the airlocks - never thought about vodka.

If i have some - I will empty and refill.

thanx for all your help and advice.

sounds like tee many carboys 2 me to choze from - - -
you are right -

later

rrawhide

Your brother-in-law sounds like a great friend, rrawhide. And if he wasn't before the tasting, I bet he is now...lol.
smiley36.gif
Chores, wine, and chili. Great bonding material. Very nice looking setup you have there.

I check my airlocks every couple of weeks and have noticed that they've really gotten low with the drop in temp here. I refill 'em with my K-meta sanitizing solution, but I wonder if that's a bit too strong. It obviously gets sucked into the carboy when the temp drops...
smiley24.gif

Edited by: K&GB

Looks like around 300 + bottles of mighty fine wine to me Edited by: Waldo

question for rrawhide. of the three different oaks in the syrah did you have a favorite? also is 7 weeks about how long you usually oak your wines? thanks, Ron.

Hi Ron

This is the first time I have had enough wine to try all 3 oaks in different carboys. At this time I kinda liked the hungarian oak first then french and then american. BUT, remember these were all different 'toasts' ie: medium; house; and heavy. Brother-in-law, David, liked the american better. As far as I am concerned - time will tell BUT they are all good. The american, to me, had a little 'oakier harsher' flavor but maybe that is just me. Anyway, we will keep tasting from time to time and will keep you appraised. PM me if you have any questions. By the way, where are you located?
good luck and have fun
rrawhide
smiley1.gif

ps: the oak packages show a minimum of 8 weeks on the oak. At 7 weeks, it was pretty good and I did not want to create an 'oak monster' so I pulled off.

I live in spokane, washington. Been doing wine kits for about 1 1/2 years but I'm not sure I'm oaking my wines enough thats why I was asking questions. I have been oaking mine about 8 weeks but haven't been able to tell whether it is enough or not. Guess I need a wine tasting course. Where are you loacted?

Hi Ron

I live in Springville, Ca. Central Ca close to the Sequoia National Forest.

Oak is a good question - I have only followed directions when doing the kits but when I received all of that syrah 100% juice right from the press I just decided to play around a little. I also have considered doing 2 carboys 1 with oak and one without oak and leaving for 6 months and then blending the 2 together and see what we get.

Next season, I am going to get a 59 gallon barrel, and if my friend will fill it for me - I will just leave in the barrel for a year. My friend, Paul, gave me 67 gallons of free run syrah and merlot this last year and wow what a present. So hope i do not screw it up. If I get the barrel it will be a neutral one that I will add oak chips or staves to it. A new french oak barrel is about $700 but you can get a 2-3 year old barrel that is neutral (or about) for $40-70. You might check out www.winebusiness.com and see barrels for sale and lots of other good stuff too!!!

anyway, good to talk to you - good luck and have fun - always lots of fun to learn new stuff and meet new folks.

Merry Christmas to you and family

rrawhide

Sounds like a great friend to have. Must own a winery. I will check out that web site. Thanks for the info and Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

Back