Where to go in Napa/Sonoma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Lion

Junior
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Napa/Sonoma area for when social distancing is lifted. I'm overwhelmed by all the options! What are your favorite wineries to visit there?

Coppola Winery along hwy 101 is neat to visit, wines are fairly good. Kenwood was a very fun place. Last time my wife and I were out there we picked a town (I think it was Healdsburg) and walked around downtown to 8 or 10 tasting rooms. they were all very good, Selby Winery among the best, but I see they don't have Bobcat Zinfandel any longer, I'm sure they are still good. If you are sporty, head a few miles more north to Mendecino County, not nearly as well known, but wonderful old time wineries, still with complimentary tasting, Hopland is the town (village) I have explored the most, plenty of wineries there. I don't know as much about Napa as my wallet doesn't let me visit there much.

Napa is great fun, but most valley floor wineries will have a good winery setting and expensive tasting. That's OK, it's still great. How many days do you have? Of the "old school" places, Beringer, St. Supery(wife likes) Charles Krug(best bang for $), Mondavi, Far Niente and Sterling get my vote, and Sterling only because of the cable car and view if you are from far away. If you have any favorite wines from Napa, that often makes a good stop too, and see where where your wine comes from! Be warned though, tasting itself is expensive in Napa, and we rarely go there any more. Many places require reservations. Napa has become the Disney Land of wine tasting which is both good and bad. The weekends there are impossible there for me, but I'm spoiled (according to @mainshipfred) since I've been going to Napa for 35 years. Up the sides of the Napa valley, east and west, are some lesser known, small, super high quality places that are worth exploring. Many you need to call ahead so do your research.

Over the years, one of the ways we have picked wineries to visit, is to get 4 bottles of the same variety and general place of origin, have dinner with friends taking notes of what we like and what we don't, and then visit the winner as a group a few weeks later. That's taken us some places you would not normally go because they are too small or just overlooked.

Sonoma is one step more laid back from Napa. Maybe 2 steps up north. Some familiar favorites there: Jordan, Chateau St Jean, Ferrari-Carano. If you make it up to Ferrari-Carano you'll be in the Dry Creek area which has great smaller wineries to explore. Some other favorites there: Fritz, Dutcher Crossing, Truitt-Hurst (great, great picnic area out by Dry Creek), Armida (another great picnic spot). My all time favorite place in that area is Ridge Lytton Springs. Don't miss that.

And if you have an extra day, slide East 90 miles and up into the Sierra Foot Hills and Amador and Eldorado County.. Laid back, family owned (mostly), great wine. Much less expensive. It reminds me of Sonoma 30 years ago.

IMO, best tasting in Napa Valley is the barrel / cave tour / tasting at Del Dotto. It’s not cheap, but well worth the price. Don’t drive yourself to this one without a DD. Some other nice ones in addition to the others mentioned are Frank Family, Hall, Venge, Aonair, Beau Vigne, Caymus, Odette, so many great wineries to choose from. If you find yourself with some time in Yountville, Girard has a storefront there, low key walk-in with different flight options, nice wines at pretty good prices.

Latest posts

Back