Where to get sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
off topic (sugar) but is there such a thing as a good mask?
- I have a N95 that feels like I am gasping for air up in Yellowstone and fogs the glasses,
- one of the friends made a single layer cloth one with wire over the nose and easy to breathe but still fogs the glasses
- have a box of white round ones which are in between as far as breathing and still fog the glasses

? ? is there a mask that’s easy to breath in, and doesn’t fog glasses ? ?

I had to go visit the dr's office yesterday and of course there everyone has to wear a mask, as I sat in the waiting room, the nurse doing temps suggested to several folks who were complaining about the fogging glasses problem, just slide your glasses down the bridge of your nose a little bit and the fogging problems tend to go away. By golly, I tried it and she was correct, but then I have to resist the urge to push my glasses up where they belong.

off topic (sugar) but is there such a thing as a good mask?
- I have a N95 that feels like I am gasping for air up in Yellowstone and fogs the glasses,
- one of the friends made a single layer cloth one with wire over the nose and easy to breathe but still fogs the glasses
- have a box of white round ones which are in between as far as breathing and still fog the glasses

? ? is there a mask that’s easy to breath in, and doesn’t fog glasses ? ?
If the N95 fogs your glasses, it's not fitting correctly. There should be no air escaping or getting in anywhere around the perimeter of the mask. You need to make sure you pinch the metal tabs around the nose to make a good seal. If the mask isn't sealed well, then you might as well not be wearing one. As far as being easy to breath, as DizzyLzzy said, breathing through your mouth with an N95 on is easier. If you can find a surgical mask, they're pretty easy to breath through, but not as effective as the N95.

I found sugar this morning. C&H was ~$25 for a 25lb bag. An off brand was $18.99 a bag. Twice what I have paid in the past, but I grabbed 3 bags and am happy to have them. :db

I will start the Oregon Grape wine tomorrow. I consulted an old recorded success from years ago, and this sugar purchase should make me about 30 gallons of wine. And with some berry reuse, about 20 to 25 gallons of it will be OG Wine. Its the best.
WOW! Those seem like exorbitant prices for sugar. Here in NH, the going price is about 50 -55 cents a pound for the smaller bags. I haven't seen any price gouging on sugar or flour yet. Flour comes and goes - one day there's none; a day later there's a pile of it.

I will refrain from anything even remotely political. (Nothing like that on here but just as those doggone distillers sneak in here once in a while, I figured folks might be tempted when they are cooped up.). :bt In the sugar & TP situation it's a display of fear and perhaps greed. Step back 150 years and people bought what they could afford and it wasn't always what they needed - they made it work. I see wine making as a little like that. I would love to make a nice big (3 gallon) batch of wild blackberry wine, but when the berries aren't there...
Hang in there folks, this virus mess will eventually fade away. I just wish I was back on my place in NW Arkansas instead of here in Southern California right now. There I can keep busy for weeks without getting within 100 yards of anyone.
good puint i have for years kept a avarge of 75 lbs to 200 lbs of sugar for wine not counting a ten pound bag for table use, now i am keeping in my freezer 150 plus of sugar for wine, yes i have been locked down since second week of march, so i am making way more wine,
Dawg

I’m older than dirt, but I remember when a large sugar purchase included your name and address sent to the alcohol & tax folks.
i'm old but not before dirt, but i am from a area where sugar and corn got you put under survelaiince, in my younger days i've had to stand there while the ABC took everything out of my vehicle, then told me to pick up my trash or get ticketed for littering ,,,
Dawg

but i am from a area where sugar and corn got you put under survelaiince

I've heard of this in other areas. I've never had any questions though. I just bought 500lbs of sugar from Costco last week. Not even a second look from other customers either, though it might be hard to tell with their masks on

Latest posts

Back