Where to get sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget the sugar.. I can't find any TP and now have to resort to using cardboard. They don't print catalogs or newspapers it seems...

On the serious side, I can't believe some people. They're hoarding like it's the end of the world. I had to make 2 separate trips to 3 different grocery stores (hit each place one over 2 days) just to pick up some groceries. All I was looking for were staples, bread, milk and a roast. I was able to get some milk, a loaf of bread and a small bag of onions.. Still couldn't find a roast and potatoes. The only meat that I found were some sausages, chicken feet, pigs feet, and racks of ribs. I'm now thinking I should have picked up a rack.

The lady at the grocery store told me I had to come 1st thing in the morning for meat... That's not going to work for me since I have to work.

I'm hoping in another 2 weeks, people will either come to their senses or they would have hoarded so much, they no longer have room for anything else. Then maybe I can get something... For now, it looks like I'll be eating a lot of pizzas and pasta since a crap load of bread flour from last summer, when I was trying to figure out how to make pizzas at home.

BTW, I was telling a friend of mine all I had was 2 rolls of TP and needed to get some more, but couldn't find any. She tells me she stocked up and had 196 rolls. I was like WTH?

" BTW, I was telling a friend of mine all I had was 2 rolls of TP and needed to get some more, but couldn't find any. She tells me she stocked up and had 196 rolls. I was like WTH?"

At the risk of sounding seriously hard nosed, if she didn't offer you any of hers, 1) remove the term "friend" when you speak of her. And 2). Stay away if anything really serious happens especially if she has a gun.
That sort of behavior is what is making this entire situation more difficult that it needs to be. Each time you had to go to another place or make a second trip that adds to your risk of infection totally without reason .

" BTW, I was telling a friend of mine all I had was 2 rolls of TP and needed to get some more, but couldn't find any. She tells me she stocked up and had 196 rolls. I was like WTH?"

At the risk of sounding seriously hard nosed, if she didn't offer you any of hers, 1) remove the term "friend" when you speak of her. And 2). Stay away if anything really serious happens especially if she has a gun.
That sort of behavior is what is making this entire situation more difficult that it needs to be. Each time you had to go to another place or make a second trip that adds to your risk of infection totally without reason .

I get what you're saying but this virus isn't scaring me to that point. Sure it's bad, but it looks to me, for the majority, it's just a mild cold or nothing. I'm worry about my parents and others that are elderly, but for the general public, I feel it's over blown. I think the only reason for this hype is because we're trying to prevent a collapse of the health care system. I don't feel we have enough ventilators for those that do end up with sever symptoms. But this is a catch 2020 also.. You hype of the problem and now you've got people that normally only have cold symptoms running to the hospitals.

Oh well, it is what it is... I just keep my distance from others and just keep chugging along. I just need to figure out what to do with sitting around the house. My 9 yo son and I originally had plans to go skiing this weekend, but we're stuck home. He seems fine just sitting around playing with his VR headset and some board games we play. Me, I'm bored out of my mind and have bought way too much crap from Amazon.

One other thing.. Last weekend, I was helping a friend take some stuff to the dump (He had moved and needed to get his old place emptied to put up for sale, and I have a pickup). A former coworker showed up to help too. He wasn't any help, just stood around blabbing. Dude pissed me off. He shows up sick as can be. I tell him to go home and self quarantine. He's like, "no, it's just a cold and he's had it for a couple days and no fever." I tell him it doesn't matter, some people are even asymptomatic, and people don't want to be around others that are sick because they don't want to chance it.. He just keeps playing it off.. A bit later, he says he just got back from NYC, the prior Sunday (6 days). I wanted to punch him in his face.

On the bright side, I made Cilantro-Lime chicken for dinner last night, minus the Cilantro and Lime. Didn't have any. I ended up with perfect Fajita Chicken. Delicious is all I can say about it.

Off my soapbox for now. on this note LOL

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/

right now i am low on sugar, i keep sugar in my deep freeze, i got about 70 lbs, but until i see how things go, i am holding off on starting any new ferments, but i was waiting anyways till i get my new press in for my banana solids, but being lucky enough to have a large freezer i usually keep from 100 to 200 lbs in 25 pound sacks, they just confirmed a case of covid-19, 40 mile from me, and i live very rural , stay safe,
Dawg
Concur with the stockpiling sugar for long-term use. I always buy in bulk come November/December when everyone is doing their holiday baking. Really cheap, very abundant in large quantities keeps me going for 12 months. I do get strange looks at the check-out for having a cart full of 100 lbs of sugar, but a gal's gotta have a hobby. Recommend everyone try local ethnic stores. So far, they have all been fully stocked with staples. The mainstream shopper doesn't think to go to them. Take care all.

I've been thinking I should carry a longer range supply of dry goods well before this happened. I already had enough TP for half a year. Easy enough to get it delivered to your door at the same price as picking it up in the store now days. I had a collection of empty canning jars and a vacuum pack attachment. Supposedly things like beans and rice keep for 3 years that way. I have excess freezer capacity so dropping in a few 10 pound bags of flour and sugar were no brainers. The freezer in this case is mainly for pest control and once cold puts no extra strain on the system and helps stabilize temperatures during power outages. Last time to the store I bought a two extra gallons of milk and froze them. Not to hoard but to keep from having to go out and risk infection. I've always been extra sensitive to throat and sinus infections. My wife had major surgery on her trachea and getting this disease could potentially be fatal for her. I think more people will adopt this kind of thinking for at least the next year or two.

sucks things getting worse here, i am having trouble finding even 4 lb sacks of sugar, and them are limited to 2 sacks, so 30 mile round trip per if lucky 8 lb sugar, Grrrrr, i got a 13 gallon and a 4 gallon waiting to start, not to mention i got around at least 18 gallon skeeter pee, and 18 gallon banana that i could backsweeten, but i can hold them long term but i need to start my blackberry/elderberry and a strawberry, i need to start, beings i got concentrates from homewinery.com ,, a couple more day and i guess i'll use some of my stash sugar,
Dawg

was bored so decided to organize my chest type 22 cubic, ft. freezer, stacked like things together, but to my surprise i found at the bottom of the freezer 2#, 25 lb sacks of sugar, then this evening my brother dropped off, 2#- 10 lb , sacks of sugar. and just like that 70 lb of sugar, so tomorrow the frements will get the first steps towards getting started,,,
Dawg

I found sugar this morning. C&H was ~$25 for a 25lb bag. An off brand was $18.99 a bag. Twice what I have paid in the past, but I grabbed 3 bags and am happy to have them. :db

I will start the Oregon Grape wine tomorrow. I consulted an old recorded success from years ago, and this sugar purchase should make me about 30 gallons of wine. And with some berry reuse, about 20 to 25 gallons of it will be OG Wine. Its the best.

took a trip deeper into the ozarks today, could not believe my eyes under $80. got me 6#--25 lb bags of sugar, gotta be some shinners around there, hehe, i sure got some looks from the cashier, he didn't want to part with that much sugar,, told him he should of put a limit sign up,
Dawg

took a trip deeper into the ozarks today, could not believe my eyes under $80. got me 6#--25 lb bags of sugar, gotta be some shinners around there, hehe, i sure got some looks from the cashier, he didn't want to part with that much sugar,, told him he should of put a limit sign up,
Dawg

I felt like another hoarder just buying the 3 that I did. I was at the same grocery store yesterday, and they have plenty of sugar now, at least ten 25lbs bags. Price is still high, but at least it is now available. Feels like things are starting to normalize.

I felt like another hoarder just buying the 3 that I did. I was at the same grocery store yesterday, and they have plenty of sugar now, at least ten 25lbs bags. Price is still high, but at least it is now available. Feels like things are starting to normalize.
i sure hope so, i hope they get a vaccine, i've been staying holed up for the most part, even had to order me 5 more carboys, but i don't drink unless i get a bad night, but i've been storing/bulk aging and even with this it's gone in a few more batches, and ain't of yet back sweetened zero so far, guess i'll turn my mares and jack to the woods and start on July, as soon as she's smoothed out i think i' ll sell my team and wagon, just keep her and my forcart, i gotta get outta my wine room, now these are good problem to have, i thank the good Lord for these kinda problems,
Dawg

Forget the sugar.. I can't find any TP and now have to resort to using cardboard. They don't print catalogs or newspapers it seems...

On the serious side, I can't believe some people. They're hoarding like it's the end of the world. I had to make 2 separate trips to 3 different grocery stores (hit each place one over 2 days) just to pick up some groceries. All I was looking for were staples, bread, milk and a roast. I was able to get some milk, a loaf of bread and a small bag of onions.. Still couldn't find a roast and potatoes. The only meat that I found were some sausages, chicken feet, pigs feet, and racks of ribs. I'm now thinking I should have picked up a rack.

The lady at the grocery store told me I had to come 1st thing in the morning for meat... That's not going to work for me since I have to work.

I'm hoping in another 2 weeks, people will either come to their senses or they would have hoarded so much, they no longer have room for anything else. Then maybe I can get something... For now, it looks like I'll be eating a lot of pizzas and pasta since a crap load of bread flour from last summer, when I was trying to figure out how to make pizzas at home.

BTW, I was telling a friend of mine all I had was 2 rolls of TP and needed to get some more, but couldn't find any. She tells me she stocked up and had 196 rolls. I was like WTH?
What state do you live in?

I get what you're saying but this virus isn't scaring me to that point. Sure it's bad, but it looks to me, for the majority, it's just a mild cold or nothing. I'm worry about my parents and others that are elderly, but for the general public, I feel it's over blown. I think the only reason for this hype is because we're trying to prevent a collapse of the health care system. I don't feel we have enough ventilators for those that do end up with sever symptoms. But this is a catch 2020 also.. You hype of the problem and now you've got people that normally only have cold symptoms running to the hospitals.

Oh well, it is what it is... I just keep my distance from others and just keep chugging along. I just need to figure out what to do with sitting around the house. My 9 yo son and I originally had plans to go skiing this weekend, but we're stuck home. He seems fine just sitting around playing with his VR headset and some board games we play. Me, I'm bored out of my mind and have bought way too much crap from Amazon.

One other thing.. Last weekend, I was helping a friend take some stuff to the dump (He had moved and needed to get his old place emptied to put up for sale, and I have a pickup). A former coworker showed up to help too. He wasn't any help, just stood around blabbing. Dude pissed me off. He shows up sick as can be. I tell him to go home and self quarantine. He's like, "no, it's just a cold and he's had it for a couple days and no fever." I tell him it doesn't matter, some people are even asymptomatic, and people don't want to be around others that are sick because they don't want to chance it.. He just keeps playing it off.. A bit later, he says he just got back from NYC, the prior Sunday (6 days). I wanted to punch him in his face.

On the bright side, I made Cilantro-Lime chicken for dinner last night, minus the Cilantro and Lime. Didn't have any. I ended up with perfect Fajita Chicken. Delicious is all I can say about it.

Off my soapbox for now. on this note LOL

How Much Toilet Paper?! The Toilet Paper Calculator
I feel for you Crab. Your friend/coworker? was totally disrespectful to both you and your other coworker in gambling with YOUR health!! I have a nephew who is an EMT in Georgia, and he reports that the state, and news people, are withholding just how bad the corona is down there. We all need to be concerned and protective of our own health. I am an RN and was health-conscious BEFORE this, you can only imagine how "over-the-top" I am now! I am not afraid, just precautionary when I am out in public, carrying homemade sanitizer with me...wearing gloves and homemade mask with virus filter....cleaning car keys and steering wheel upon returning to the car after shopping, etc.. These are challenging times, but Americans have always met challenges head-on!

We all need to be concerned and protective of our own health . . . just precautionary when I am out in public, . . . homemade mask with virus filter....
off topic (sugar) but is there such a thing as a good mask?
- I have a N95 that feels like I am gasping for air up in Yellowstone and fogs the glasses,
- one of the friends made a single layer cloth one with wire over the nose and easy to breathe but still fogs the glasses
- have a box of white round ones which are in between as far as breathing and still fog the glasses

? ? is there a mask that’s easy to breath in, and doesn’t fog glasses ? ?

- I have a N95 that feels like I am gasping for air up in Yellowstone and fogs the glasses,
- one of the friends made a single layer cloth one with wire over the nose and easy to breathe but still fogs the glasses
- have a box of white round ones which are in between as far as breathing and still fog the glasses

I think the secret is in pinching the wire around the nose and bringing it a little "down" on the nose while still covering it. I lined my mask with a hepa filter (sewed it in place). Between the two layers sprinkled some citric acid which supposedly repels viruses because of the acidity. Also, I "mouth breathe" when wearing it. That helps alot with breathing. Hope this info helps.

Latest posts

Back