Where to get sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the usual 25lb bags of sugar. The covid-19 has created a run on sugar. Maybe I won't be making any wine this year. :(

Give it a couple of weeks, the shortages will end because people wise up or run out of money to buy everything.

I agree!! Folks may be consuming more at home than before, but restaurant demand for food goods will decrease correspondingly, as that consumption has decreased. We aren't suddenly using more of everything, and the stockpiling we see will slow, and those folks won't need to buy those things for some time. People aren't using toilet paper at a greater rate than before, but now they have huge stockpiles that'll last a long time, TP will eventually be sitting on the shelves.

At some point (hopefully soon) people will realize that they don't need 20lbs of sugar in the house. Who knows, you might start seeing it for sale/giveaway on Craigslist. :p

Sugar is a seasonal crop. Any sugar we are buying today has been sitting in a warehouse on a shrink wrapped pallet since last fall. Industry has it staged at regional locations which in turn send it to the buyers distribution center ex Publix or Kroger. Bulk sugar is also waiting in 2000 lb bags or tanks.
Canned goods, (wine kits) are also a seasonal product sitting in a warehouse since last fall, , however in this case it is not labeled till the orders come in at which time labels are applied for Kroger brand or Green Giant, , (Green Giant doesn’t can it’s own product)
I can't seem to find the usual 25lb bags of sugar. The covid-19 has created a run on sugar. Maybe I won't be making any wine this year. :(
We expect some surge and stage shipments based on seasonal estimates , , , but this wasn’t expected, , , , well it was talked about as a risk factor since we saw it from China, , but not acted on.
The question worth asking is what will harvest and planting be like? ? the government goal is to make the event longer.
The best model is what grandpa did in the depression. There wasn’t a national shortage of food stocks.
The local wine toys store is operating on line with purchases/pickups placed on the sidewalk to limit contact.

Last edited:
I will refrain from anything even remotely political. (Nothing like that on here but just as those doggone distillers sneak in here once in a while, I figured folks might be tempted when they are cooped up.). :bt In the sugar & TP situation it's a display of fear and perhaps greed. Step back 150 years and people bought what they could afford and it wasn't always what they needed - they made it work. I see wine making as a little like that. I would love to make a nice big (3 gallon) batch of wild blackberry wine, but when the berries aren't there...
Hang in there folks, this virus mess will eventually fade away. I just wish I was back on my place in NW Arkansas instead of here in Southern California right now. There I can keep busy for weeks without getting within 100 yards of anyone.

Last edited:
I will refrain from anything even remotely political. In the sugar & TP situation it's a display of fear and perhaps greed. Step back 150 years and people bought what they could afford and it wasn't always what they needed - they made it work. I see wine making as a little like that.

TP and Sugar is political? I have never heard that before.

I just don't understand the run on sugar. Before making wine, I don't recall ever buying even a pound of sugar. Maybe a little on some cereal, or in tea or coffee, but that was it.

I have to go into Missoula tomorrow, and I borrowed my neighbors Costco card. Maybe one of the 2 Walmarts might have the 25lbs bags of sugar. Couple of years ago 25lbs were 7 or 8 dollars each at the Walmart I go to. I hate to think what they might cost now.

Does Montana have a price gouging law? If so they any store large or small has to have a strong justification for a price increase. And since Walmart leadership is part of the special taskforce for the business response, hopefully the most we'll see in minor price rise, or limits on purchase quantity. The latter should be an across the board policy for all Staples. Ah but I'm dancing on the fence of off topic/political.
:db

I assume that the sugar issue is due to people being at home, so they are baking things etc., I noticed even box mixes for various breads, cakes, and cookies, are running low inventory. Flour was there, but also low stock.

Unless you're a winemaker!
I Like that!! :wy

What's going to be funny is when spouses find that somebody can't cook even with boxed food - if it requires something other than setting time in the microwave or temp & time on an oven. May be an increase in first responders for fire and "food poisoning":slp

Last edited:
right now i am low on sugar, i keep sugar in my deep freeze, i got about 70 lbs, but until i see how things go, i am holding off on starting any new ferments, but i was waiting anyways till i get my new press in for my banana solids, but being lucky enough to have a large freezer i usually keep from 100 to 200 lbs in 25 pound sacks, they just confirmed a case of covid-19, 40 mile from me, and i live very rural , stay safe,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back