Where to cut the capsule?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On most wine bottles, there is a flat, raised area a few mm below the lip. I have always cut the capsule just above the raised area, and below the lip. I have been doing that since my days as a waiter many years ago. Recently, I came across a description that said to cut the capsule foil below the raised ridge.

Lately, I have also been just slicing a vertical cut through the entire capsule and pulling the whole capsule off. Something tells me that patrons at fine-dining establishments of my waiter youth would not have appreciated this, but I don't see any reason why not to do it this way.

Obviously, either way will get 'er done, but where do you cut the capsule, and/or which do you think is the right way. (Note: the answer to these questions may be different!)

The first pic is above the ridge, the second is below:

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

I used to cut capsule just below the lip because that's what I saw the sommeliers do. After getting into wine making, I started cutting the neck capsules vertically in order to fully remove the them. It's easier to do it at that time when I already have the blade out of my wine de-corking handle rather than do a whole bunch of bottles at once when I busy preparing to bottle a batch of wine. The reason I changed my capsule removal practice is that I now keep the bottles for re-use whereas before I got into the hobby, I simple through them into the recycling bin.

Yea, I just hold a knife at an angle and drag it up the neck of the bottle and remove the whole capsule. I'm definitely not a Sommelier. I can imagine back in the day when capsules were made of lead, you might cut below the raised area to prevent the wine from contacting the capsule.

Cut from bottom to top as well, but must admit, I have a few time just pulled the cork out right through the capsule.

Below the lip is where I most see the cut / removal in nice restaurants, but I don’t know which is considered proper.

When I’m opening a wine, I remove the whole thing.

On most wine bottles, there is a flat, raised area a few mm below the lip. I have always cut the capsule just above the raised area, and below the lip.

This is how I always do it.

Lately, I have also been just slicing a vertical cut through the entire capsule and pulling the whole capsule off. Something tells me that patrons at fine-dining establishments of my waiter youth would not have appreciated this, but I don't see any reason why not to do it this way.

I have done this on occasion. My good friend from the Alsace region in France thinks I am an uncouth boor for doing this.

Back