Where to buy Welch's frozen concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

Reaction score
I can't seem to find either Welch's or Old Orchard white grape frozen concrete anywhere locally. Giant Eagle, Heinen's or Wally World. I Have a recipe I'd like to try soon that calls for it. Suggestions?
Thanks, SteveH

I had to switch to bottled white grape

Okay, if the recipe calls for a 10.5 oz can of frozen concentrate (but it actually comes in 11.5 oz cans) how much bottled juice would you use or is that the same as the frozen concentrate?
Thanks, SteveH

The cans say to mix the concentrate with three cans of water, so that makes 46 oz. of liquid. So I would think 46 - 48 oz would be good.

I am about to do the same since we can only seem to get the white grape frozen concentrate around here from Walmart and my wife is very anti-Walmart.

Okay, if the recipe calls for a 10.5 oz can of frozen concentrate (but it actually comes in 11.5 oz cans) how much bottled juice would you use or is that the same as the frozen concentrate?
Thanks, SteveH

The bottles are 1/2 gallon or 64oz so for a 5 gallon batch you need 10. ::

I had to switch to bottled white grape

BTW, I picked up a few bottles of white grape juice today and noticed most brands were bottled with k-meta. Not sure how much that would interfere with a ferment, but would let it sit for a bit before pitching the yeast.

I went with the store brand organic juice which was pasteurized, no k-meta listed on the label and AFAIK you cannot be labeled organic if you use it.

BTW, I picked up a few bottles of white grape juice today and noticed most brands were bottled with k-meta. Not sure how much that would interfere with a ferment, but would let it sit for a bit before pitching the yeast.

I went with the store brand organic juice which was pasteurized, no k-meta listed on the label and AFAIK you cannot be labeled organic if you use it.

I made some black cherry concord from welches and it did just fine. I'll have to check my white grape before I start it.

I have trouble believing they put potassium metabisulfite in white or red grape juice. Potassium sorbate, however, is a normal preservative. If it was K-meta, you could let it sit for a while and the wine yeast could deal with it. But not so much with K-sorb.

I have asked a local grocery store to order an item I wanted and had good luck, especially if I tell them I want to buy several units of it. One great advantage of frozen concentrate other than the lack of preservatives is that you can use it to back sweeten without adding a huge amount of liquid and watering down your wine so much. Likewise, using it in initially making the wine, you can leave out some of the water and have a better tasting wine.

Last edited:
It was potassium metabisulfite, I checked the ingredient listing of several different brands and they all had it. Except for the organic version.

Welch's mentions it on their allergen page: https://www.welchs.com/products/nutrition-and-allergen-information

I`m in the uk until recently I used to use red welchs as there isn't any where ive found white welchs, in years locally, even the red has now dried up, as the local supermarket that used to sell it has now closed, I tend to use a very neutral apple which ive found locally or a red grape juice, from another maker, which I can still obtain, together with some real grapes, which I press by hand, which I can get from my local veg shop, to add grape like flavours.

Because of these things I tend to now make country type wines, which are mostly a combination of grapes apple and real fruit, of varying flavours and sorts, as there is no other choices available to me locally, I even looked into mail order, which isn't really practical, so that's what I now make.

Last edited:
I have made many different type of country wine from 100% juices from
Wally World. Have on the go now Welche's black cherry concord and white
grape peach. On next to do passion fruit / mango

Bill

I can't seem to find either Welch's or Old Orchard white grape frozen concrete anywhere locally. Giant Eagle, Heinen's or Wally World. I Have a recipe I'd like to try soon that calls for it. Suggestions?
Thanks, SteveH

WooHoo! Update . . . Went "the other direction" today to Geneva Ohio's Giant Eagle and they had Welch's 100% White Grape Frozen concentrate! I bought ten to have on hand.

Latest posts

Back