Where to buy Oak Barrels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report on the barrel. I had a few leaks when I started soaking the barrel but everything stopped in about an hour maybe 2 now it's bone dry. My only question is when I first started and it was leaking the water coming out was black. Wonder if I got a medium char instead of a mediun toast. It's real oaky smellingas well. Any thoughts?

Report on the barrel. I had a few leaks when I started soaking the barrel but everything stopped in about an hour maybe 2 now it's bone dry. My only question is when I first started and it was leaking the water coming out was black. Wonder if I got a medium char instead of a mediun toast. It's real oaky smellingas well. Any thoughts?

That’s why you rinse it out, to get the manufacturing / charring leftovers out of there. Don’t know what to tell you about the toast level.

You should be able to see inside the barrel with a flashlight; medium toast should be somewhere between light and dark brown, a few darker areas are ok, but a char barrel should be mostly black.

Hi all,

I live in Northern NJ. I’m looking to purchase a couple new American or French Oak barrels (30 gallon/15 gallon). In the past I have purchased locally at Wine/Beer market, but feel the prices a bit inflated. This is only for Red Wine.

I have had success with Barrel Works, which went out of business. Any suggestions on quality Barrel Cooperages? I have seen them on Midwest Supplies and received a response from TheOAK Cooperage.

Shipping is a must unless there is another reputable dealer in my area that has better selection.

Thanks
MB

Haven't been on in a while so i just saw your question. I buy 25 gallon american barrels directly from Kelvin. purchased one each of the past 2 years to replace my 15 gallon older barrels. they are $275 + $50 shipping.

Back