Where to buy juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,
Do I add the peptic enzyme and then wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast?
I'm going to start the batch tomorrow.

Dan,
Do you make any other changes to the instructions on your Niagara juice from Walkers?
All they supply in the juice is yeast and yeast nutrient. Nothing more about adding anything else, except if you back sweeten at the end.
Thanks

Last edited:
Looks good Tom. The next time I go to New Jersey, I'll make sure I stop by their place.
Harford Vinyard in Maryland runs a similar program, but on a much smaller scale.

Dan,
Do I add the peptic enzyme and then wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast?
I'm going to start the batch tomorrow.

Dan,
Did you ferment your Walkers Niagara juice to dry and then back sweenten with simple syrup?

Dan,
Just an update, my fermentation of the Walkers Niagara juice has slowed considerably, after only 6 days, and I'm going to rack it this weekend. Does that seem reasonably similar to your batches?
I added the peptic enzme as you suggested, and followed the Walkers instructions beyond that one change.
Just for some details, I fermented the 5 gallons of juice in a 6 gallon carboy, with an airlock, and I'm using a brewbelt.
I'll rack into a five gallon carboy , top up if necessary and reinstall the airlock. Directions say the secondary could take 3 to 6 months???
Did you experience this as well?

Doug you should ferment in a container with access to air. Yeast need to breath and this way excess CO2 and sulfur odors can easily escape.

Yes your fermentation should finish up within a week normally. Good for using pectic enzyme. Rack to clear and rack again around 4-6 weeks. Then allow it to age.

We just sampled Dan's Diamond wine from Walker's and it was excellent.

Was the 5 gallons of juice in a 6 gallon carboy with an airlock not the best or preferred method? Should I have used my 7.8 gallon plastic pail instead?
This was my first non-kit batch. The Walkers instructions were somewhat vague compared to "kit" instructions, they didn't even say to take hydrometer readings (which I did), which surprised me.

I just got my Walker's Niagara last night and plan on starting it today. I had a sample from someone that finished it sweet and added 2 cans of limeaid at the end... leaving the pulp intact. A-mazing!! It was a bit like a margarita. THAT is why I bought the Niagara juice in the first place!! Can't wait!

Debbie

Walkers instructions were somewhat vague compared to "kit" instructions, they didn't even say to take hydrometer readings (which I did), which surprised me.

Well, I broke my hydrometer yesterday. It was sitting in the bucket to clean with all my other stuff, and when I reached in for it, it was in two pieces.:e
...and the home brew store is closed today.
Bummer.
I think my Niagara is close to the ned of fermentation, after only 10 days, so I could use my fish tank hydrometer to get a reading I suppose.

Latest posts

Back