Where should I order a Wine Kit from?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that Cal. Old Vine Zin and it is very very good! For Cru Selects I have made the Tannat Merlot and the Malbec which were also very good. They were both Limited editions but I believe the Malbec is now in their every day line up. Id do the Malbec again in a heart beat as soon as I get low. I also did the Valpoilicella Ripassa and again it is crazy good.

That old vine zin, was that with the grape skins? I just confirmed that the one he had there was a Cru Select without skins.

I've been exploring malbecs the past few months like it's my job--and i wish it was :D I will ask him if he can order one. If not I may go with the zin if you confirm it was w/o skins.

I thought maybe for my very first batch I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I'm not sure though. Are all those others you've tried with skins??

I thought maybe for my very first batch I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I'm not sure though. Are all those others you've tried with skins??

IMO, do not make a skins kit within your first couple of kits. Main reason is not complexity, but rather drinkability. You really should wait at least a year to be drinking the skins kits.

Heck you can make a LOT of really good wines without ever making a skins kit.

The Grand Cru kits make a decent wine and I would recommend them for a first kit. I have always liked the Cru Select kits and like to make this brand (or it's direct competitors) for myself. The Cru Select Shiraz Viognier is definitely on my list for a re-do. It comes with LOTS of oak for the oak crazies, I would probably only use about half the oak personally. I've heard great things about the CS California Pinot Noir and Chianti Riserva, but haven't made them yet. If you're looking for a white, I would suggest the German Gewurztraminer or Riesling Traminer, both good. I will probably make the Trebbiano some time.

Pick a wine variety or style that you like and make it.

Steve

Last edited:
I gave away my whole Grand Cr kit and never made one again. Everyone has their own opinions but I myself will never do anything less then a 15 liter kit again unless its a white wine. The Cru select will produce a good wine without a skin pack, Ive never tried the Cellar Classic standard kit so cant help you there.

I can't help you with the RJS kits but will be able to in the near future. I have a couple local shops now and they both carry RJS products. I am going to try a couple to see how they differ from Mosti Modiale and Wine Expert. I will probably try a few of those mentioned here.

One tip to offer to the original poster. Buy the kits with the most juice in them you can afford. You see 7 liter kits and 15-16 liter kits. The 15-16 liter kits will give you a wine with more body. The more juice the better. Now some styles like a white such as Pinot Grigio can make a very good wine from the lower line kits but if reds are your game, buy the highest juice level kit you can afford. I as well as many others have made the lower level red kits and were really disappointed.

Steve, thanks for the tips. I'm gonna pick from what he has in stock and just run with it. I'm sure it will be good.

Wade, I think I was already going to rule out the Grand Cru Kit since it's about half the amount of juice included in the kit. I don't mind spending an extra $20-30 for something that's more promising.

Smurfe, I'll definitely heed your advice... as mentioned above, it makes perfect sense why the higher volume kits will turn out better.

Again, Thanks all. If anyone else has any experience with RJS kits, please let me know! If not, I think i have all the info I need :h I'm sure i'll be posting again regarding my first batch

I think I was already going to rule out the Grand Cru Kit since it's about half the amount of juice included in the kit. I don't mind spending an extra $20-30 for something that's more promising.

Smurfe, I'll definitely heed your advice... as mentioned above, it makes perfect sense why the higher volume kits will turn out better.

Just one caveat here. I haven't read this whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, the 10-liter kits like Grand Cru (or Vintners Reserve) are often drinkable sooner. So I wouldn't automatically rule them out as being unworthy. Just stick to blends as opposed to varietals among the cheaper reds. The 16-liter kits, while they may shine in a year or two, are usually not very good at two or three months after bottling. A lot of people recommend getting a small kit or two up and running before going to work on the long-term aging projects. That way you've got something to drink while you're waiting for the paint to dry on your masterpiece.

I agree with a couple others that the grape-skins kits should wait a while if you want to keep it simple.

Jim

Latest posts

Back