WineXpert Where is the lingering finish?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
Okay, I know I am jumping the gun
smiley3.gif
, but my first batch has been bottled for three months (Barbaresco--which I did several splits so I could taste at various stages), so I opened my first split last night and
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
waaaahhhhh!!! The wine tasted mostly like grape juice without the wonderful lingering finish that I have grown to love. I was unable to detect any other flavors in the wine but grape.

It needs more time, right? Please tell me the kit wines will give me that lingering finish I love!!! (More time, right?)

I can't stand it!!!!!!
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

I have been doing this since October!!!!! I want to drink NOW!!!!!

Ah that patience issue again. Reds really need more time but I have not done this kit so I cant say how much. Just remember commercial wines are not sold till they have about a year minimum of aging!

Wade,
thanks for replying. I know......it is soooo hard, I do not know if I can hold out!! Are the whites better? I guess I will have to learn the virtue of patience.
smiley29.gif

Francie

PS Had to open another bottle since my Buckeyes are getting beat by Tennessee!!!

Be as patient with your wines as the Buckseyes are at basketball and don't give up. I have them picked to take it all this year
smiley2.gif

I am sure you will see lots of improvement in time and 3 months seems like a long time to wait to enjoy all you hard work but it isn't.

As was the case for your Buckeyes lastnight, its just going to take some time for it to come around!
smiley32.gif
I have them also on one of my brackets, and really thought at 17 down they were done. What a game.
As far as patience I am in the same boat as I have no where near a year in this hobby, therefore everything is way too young to be good yet. Make a few IM kits or a few whites to take the edge off.

Francie, relax and yes be patient! I've purchased several of the Mosti Mondiale Red wines and I have trouble waiting for them too! But, I still enjoy them even at this young stage. For some reason there is always an extra bottle or two that wind up in the kitchen area to sip on while they are bulk aging. Yummy!

Francie said:
Wade,
thanks for replying. I know......it is soooo hard, I do not know if I can hold out!! Are the whites better? I guess I will have to learn the virtue of patience.
smiley29.gif

Francie

PS Had to open another bottle since my Buckeyes are getting beat by Tennessee!!!

Yup, your going to have to wait for those red wines to mature. You mention white wines and I can say that they mature much quicker. I have many reds that are hitting 2 years aging and still aren't ready. Every white I have done has been perfect in a year or less. Remember to that your cellar conditions will affect the time of maturity for any wine.

3 months for any wine besides a Mist kit is way too early. Yeah, you can drink them but they won't be where you are expecting them to be yet. The whites that were in last years (2005 series)Wine Expert Limited Editions,the Trio Blanca and the Sicilian Grilloare absolutely fabulous in less than a year. The reds are not ready though. The Nebbiolo d'Alba is the closest to being ready. Just bite the bullet and wait. It will be worth it in the long run.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Francie said:
I want to drink NOW!!!!!

That's why they make 4 week kits - so you have something to drink while your waiting on the good ones to age properly. Not quite as good, but there ready sooner(6 months or less). I like the WE Mezza Luna myself.
smiley2.gif

Dave

Well, I can tell you that at eight months age,my WEBarbaresco still wouldn't give you what you're looking for. I've had any number of $5 bottles from World Marketwhich weremore enjoyable to drink. I keep hoping for big improvement with aging, but that improvement process has a long way to go.
As for the suggestion that a four week kit will help you bridge the time gap?......I'd personallymuch rather drink a bottle of "two buck Chuck" from Trader Joe's than the one four week kit I did do.

"I like to drink wine more than I used to."Vito Corleone, Godfather IEdited by: rexmor

Rexmor,
Can you add any details on what you're tasting @ 8 months? Also any notes from when you made the kit, e.g. did you top off with water and if so how much?

We popped a 2004 Cab from Clos Du Bois this evening that was absolutely awesome. It exploded with berry's and fruitat the first sip and had a beautiful finish. I could only hope the kits I'm making now would come close to that in 3 years. Everything I've read said this hobby takes a lot of patience and each time I pass the wine rack with 30 of my new soliders, that patience is tested and it's only been 2 months!!

GrapeApe.

My solution is that every third kit is a cheapy that I drink when I'm tempted to open one of the good kit bottles. I find the VR chianti to be a good early drinker (two months) as sometimes the IM kits are way too sweet for my tastes. I just ordered the VR Beujolies (sorry for the spelling) kit. It's supposed to be an early drinker, anyone have experience with this kit?

DrtDoctor

Latest posts

Back