Where does it go???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
As we all likely agree, the "Winemaking Talk Forum" has got to be the Premier world-wide Internet site for "beginners to aged" winemakers to learn how and ultimately share the experience. The one thought which has crossed my (and I won't hesitate to say many others) fleeting gray matter from time to time is this ,, "whenever I gaze upon my neatly arranged collection, I think about just how much wine I've made and almost immediately wonder why there is not nearly that much there!!". Easy to attribute the disparity to sharing, gifting, etc., but really?? Do I (we) possibly drink THAT much?? Without thinking too hard, I have to submit to "YES,,,,,yes I do". :sh HAPPY NEW YEAR to us all, and "keep on keeping on":hny2

I never do the math on how much has been produced versus how much is on hand! We gift quite a bit, and have bartered some, and some is used to top up. The balance is consumed by us and our guests. Like my father-in-law always said, "I don't count them, I just drink them."

As we all likely agree, the "Winemaking Talk Forum" has got to be the Premier world-wide Internet site for "beginners to aged" winemakers to learn how and ultimately share the experience. The one thought which has crossed my (and I won't hesitate to say many others) fleeting gray matter from time to time is this ,, "whenever I gaze upon my neatly arranged collection, I think about just how much wine I've made and almost immediately wonder why there is not nearly that much there!!". Easy to attribute the disparity to sharing, gifting, etc., but really?? Do I (we) possibly drink THAT much?? Without thinking too hard, I have to submit to "YES,,,,,yes I do". :sh HAPPY NEW YEAR to us all, and "keep on keeping on":hny2

I'll drink to that!

I never do the math on how much has been produced versus how much is on hand! We gift quite a bit, and have bartered some, and some is used to top up. The balance is consumed by us and our guests. Like my father-in-law always said, "I don't count them, I just drink them."

I just bartered a few bottles for a case of homemade canned tomato soup and five pounds of goose jerky. I sweetened the deal with a SMASH six pack and he countered with a 4 pound hunk of ribeye off one of his Angus steers. We were both real happy...later on his wife told me he was gonna give all that stuff anyway...heck, I was give them my juice too!

Have a management hunt scheduled next month. Will be taking that friend a couple of cases of beer and wines and maybe some of that goose jerky too! I like bartering. I just wish I could find some folks who were nuts over zuccini squash and grass burrs, I'd be set for life!

I make quite a bit every year and my inventory gets hit several ways...

- I can go through at least 3 to 5 cases during crush and press season in the fall.

- Assorted other parties can cost me another 6 or 8 cases. Attending a 3 day blues festival last summer, for example, saw the bottom of 2 cases of wine alone. I also have an uncle in Georgia that likes my wine and ends up with 2 cases every time I visit.

- a wedding or a big family gathering can cost me another 2 or 4 cases.

- Then there is the miscellaneous gifting that I do. A bottle to the snow plow guy or a neighbor, for example, can cost me another 2 cases at least.

- and finally, there is the wine personal consumption of around 10 or 12 cases a year (or so).

So in total, I can burn anywhere from 23 to 31 cases a year!

Funny to think how people think I am ready for rehab when they see my share at bottling!

Latest posts

Back