Where can I find out what is in the fpack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddog

Junior
Reaction score
OK, stupid question here but is there a place I can find out what is actually included in the fpack for some wines? I've got a VR White Zin and a VR Piersporter that both are ready to have their extra bags added (50% off at my LHBS as they move out the stuff for the new lines and we've never tried these before). Is it just a 'taste it to see if it is pure backsweetening' kind of thing or is there somewhere that I can find more information on what else is in those extra liquid packs?

My experience with those "flavor packs" that are included in some kits is that they are only for back-sweetening wine that has been fermented to "dry" or an SG of 0.995 or so. I think they are nothing more than a type of simple syrup and possibly some flavorings and coloring. I got mine in a "Moscato" and I was only interested in making a dry Muscat wine. What I did was to dump them in the primary fermenter at the beginning, adding to the sugar content and thus the eventual alcohol.

Your two wines, White Zin and Piersporter are normally "off dry" to "sweet." It really depends on how you want the wine to taste. If you want it sweet, add the sorbate and the flavor pack. You don't have to add the whole flavor pack if you don't want the wine too sweet.

The only place to find out what is in the F-Pack is the vendor. My guess is they'll not share the info, either because it's a business secret OR they really don't want you to know.

There's nothing bad in the F-Pack -- tasting it won't hurt you. It may not taste good in a concentrated format. For White Zin and Piesporter, Rocky may be correct that it's little more than sugar syrup. For other F-Packs, there is definitely flavoring.

Winexpert's Luna Bianca is a slightly sweet, heavy body chardonnay. My best guess is the F-Pack contains a chardonnay concentrate along with oak flavoring and possibly glycerin.

For the "fun wine" kits I've made, my guess is fruit juice and glycerin, and possibly extra fruit flavoring.

The port-style kits? Certainly juice and flavoring, probably glycerin. I did a "sherry" kit over 10 years ago -- I'm since wondered about the F-Pack ....

Some folks add some or all of the F-Pack to the fermenter when starting the batch. If I do another fun wine kit, I will probably add half. Most are too sweet for my taste, but bone dry would not be pleasing.

The only place to find out what is in the F-Pack is the vendor. My guess is they'll not share the info, either because it's a business secret OR they really don't want you to know.

There's nothing bad in the F-Pack -- tasting it won't hurt you. It may not taste good in a concentrated format. For White Zin and Piesporter, Rocky may be correct that it's little more than sugar syrup. For other F-Packs, there is definitely flavoring.

Winexpert's Luna Bianca is a slightly sweet, heavy body chardonnay. My best guess is the F-Pack contains a chardonnay concentrate along with oak flavoring and possibly glycerin.

For the "fun wine" kits I've made, my guess is fruit juice and glycerin, and possibly extra fruit flavoring.

The port-style kits? Certainly juice and flavoring, probably glycerin. I did a "sherry" kit over 10 years ago -- I'm since wondered about the F-Pack ....

Some folks add some or all of the F-Pack to the fermenter when starting the batch. If I do another fun wine kit, I will probably add half. Most are too sweet for my taste, but bone dry would not be pleasing.

Thanks for the info. I suppose that if I just did 2 kits at the same time, I could hit one and then if it is too sweet for my dry old tongue, blend... I should probably also go out and grab a Pierporter to see what they are "supposed" to taste like then judge how much to put into mine from the fpack.

Piesporter ranges from dry to off-dry. If the kit reproduces Piesporter well, you'll want the entire F-Pack as the wine is optimized for it. The better Piesporters are made from Riesling, the lesser ones from Müller-Thurgau. There's no telling what grapes were used to make the kit, so it's likely there is flavoring in the F-Pack to make the wine taste like a Riesling.

My recommendation is to add half the F-Pack, stir well, and taste. If you're happy, stop. If you want a bit more sweetness, add more of the F-Pack and repeat until you are satisfied.

Your taste is more important than reproducing a Piesporter correctly.

Having a look at the ingredients list might give you some info, if there is flavorings in it, it should be on the label. I have WE Pink Grigio that has a F-Pack on the shelf. Since WE have combined the content of the juice bag and the f-pack in the ingredient list reverse engineering it is a bit trickier. There is no syrup or water in the list but the is invert sugar. Not sure if they use the sugar to standardize the brix of the juice or if it is used in the f-pack (added to grape juice). Having said that, I think is an ordinary white grape concentrate in the f-pack.

Disclaimer; if this was produced in EU, I'm confident that the f-pack wouldn't be a simple syrup since neither water nor syrup is in the ingredients list. Not sure about the food legislation in Canada though.

It's likely the invert sugar was used both in the juice and the F-Pack. In the USA ingredients are listed by quantity, and unless the ingredients were in separate lists, sugar would be a single entry. Canada may do the same.

OK, stupid question here but is there a place I can find out what is actually included in the fpack for some wines? I've got a VR White Zin and a VR Piersporter that both are ready to have their extra bags added (50% off at my LHBS as they move out the stuff for the new lines and we've never tried these before). Is it just a 'taste it to see if it is pure backsweetening' kind of thing or is there somewhere that I can find more information on what else is in those extra liquid packs?

One time it was must in one of the packs, i never added it and im glad i didnt as i hate sweet wine. Typically its inverted sugar though, just taste it and see. Dont add it into the primary, if it is sugar it will most likely have sorbate which could prevent fermentation to your must if you added it pre-fermentation.

Dont add it into the primary, if it is sugar it will most likely have sorbate which could prevent fermentation to your must if you added it pre-fermentation.
The kits with F-packs I've made included a separate sorbate packet, so it's not likely that the F-Pack will too, as it's very possible to add too much sorbate to a wine.

The kits with F-packs I've made included a separate sorbate packet, so it's not likely that the F-Pack will too, as it's very possible to add too much sorbate to a wine.
That may be true but the ones i've done clearly identified 'Contains Sorbate' this is in addition to the pack i toss in the garbage with the rest of the clearing agents that come with a typical kit. Given that, i guess i depends on the kit and It may best to errr on the side of caution as its not worth ruining a kit for very slightly higher alcohol level IMO.

That may be true but the ones i've done clearly identified 'Contains Sorbate' this is in addition to the pack i toss in the garbage with the rest of the clearing agents that come with a typical kit. Given that, i guess i depends on the kit and It may best to errr on the side of caution as its not worth ruining a kit for very slightly higher alcohol level IMO.

If your wine kit comes with an Fpack that is sweet, or threw wine ends up sweet, you really should add that potassium sorbate to avoid a fermentation. Along with some kmeta.

If your wine kit comes with an Fpack that is sweet, or threw wine ends up sweet, you really should add that potassium sorbate to avoid a fermentation. Along with some kmeta.

i never back sweeten, those f packs go in the garbage also. The only thing i keep is the yeast and the oak from the package....but yes sorbate if backsweetening but only after fermentation.

Why not put it in the primary?
Because Along with the sorbate pack In the kit Some of the F-packs have sorbate in them. So its a big risk with little reward, the reward being a little higher alcohol Which could otherwise be achieved with regular sugar. Unless you are 100% sure of the F-pack contents i wouldn’t be dumping it in there. The question is, will there be enough sorbate in the f-pack to affect the fermentation...risk vs reward.

Because Along with the sorbate pack In the kit Some of the F-packs have sorbate in them. So its a big risk with little reward, the reward being a little higher alcohol Which could otherwise be achieved with regular sugar. Unless you are 100% sure of the F-pack contents i wouldn’t be dumping it in there. The question is, will there be enough sorbate in the f-pack to affect the fermentation...risk vs reward.

Well, the other reward besides ABV is presumably some additional flavor. (I believe that is the "F" in "F-pack.") Many of us (including me) have had no problem fermenting the added F-pack. I am not aware of anyone not being able to, but would be interested to know if someone has had that experience.

Well, the other reward besides ABV is presumably some additional flavor. (I believe that is the "F" in "F-pack.") Many of us (including me) have had no problem fermenting the added F-pack. I am not aware of anyone not being able to, but would be interested to know if someone has had that experience.
Yeah the only reason i say this is because the finishing packs I’ve seen Contained must or flavour confirmed by taste, they actually listed sorbate on the ingredients though. All the other ones i’ve tried tasted like pancake syrup.

Latest posts

Back