Where can I buy SIDE AIRLOCK - Angular Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radek

Junior
Reaction score
Where can I buy SIDE AIRLOCK - Angular Airlock. I would like to assembly airlock on side of my fermentator, this will allow me to stock one fermentator onto another - my kitchen is not big enough to keep 6 fermentation buckets on floor.
s-l300.jpg

I do not put airlocks on my fermentors. I just lay the lid on top without snapping it down so SO2 can escape. I only put airlocks on carboys. Currently I switched from S airlocks to breathable silicone bungs.

Not sure what you mean by stock one fermentor from another.

Think you are talking about vertical stacking like the photo below? Most or many of us don't even use an airlock during fermentation (Primary) in a bucket. We use a towel or cloth over the top. You could use a cloth then a couple of pieces of 1 x 4 wood on top of that to still allow enough air flow and protect the contents. (See rough drawing) (Shoot, now looking at all that soy sauce I'm thinking about fried rice.)

Bucket.jpg

kikkoman_shoyu_5_gal.jpg

Last edited:
hardware store....nylon 90 degree fitting...tap into the side of your bucket...attach a hose to the outside of the fitting....run hose into a bottle of water/starsan/vodka...in beer brewing, it's called a blow off tube. pretty simple

if you look at how your buckets will stack, you can have all hoses running into one bottle. I think you need to build a stand or shelf or a rack because at some point the bucket you need to work with will be on the bottom of your stack!

hardware store....nylon 90 degree fitting...tap into the side of your bucket...attach a hose to the outside of the fitting....run hose into a bottle of water/starsan/vodka...in beer brewing, it's called a blow off tube. pretty simple

if you look at how your buckets will stack, you can have all hoses running into one bottle. I think you need to build a stand or shelf or a rack because at some point the bucket you need to work with will be on the bottom of your stack!

GOOD idea - or put a rubber bushing on the top lid where you can run a 3/8'' ID tubing thru and attach your air lock to it and have all your airlocks above the lid covers - say on a board or such ?

A wonderful thing, the creative mind!!! But "STOP THE PRESSES!!!" My guess is that you'll, sooner rather than later, be pondering an exclusive winemaking space with the necessary room. After fermentation, you'll be needing some carboy space anyway!! :slp

I don't see the point in creating a web of hoses from multiple buckets for a 5-7 day period of time. And in a kitchen? Sounds like a mess waiting to happen. What if one bucket backs up the line with a foam overflow and that goes into the other lines or buckets?

Don't like to sound so negative but I think simple solutions are generally the safest and best. Avoid interconnection of all those buckets that need tending to every day during primary. Unhooking and re-connection those lines is a lot of fussing to do.

I believe he is doing more than just a primary fermentation, because of the tight are he is working with.
We may want to ask the original poster what his plans are more in detail

I believe he is doing more than just a primary fermentation, because of the tight are he is working with.
We may want to ask the original poster what his plans are more in detail

Sure hope he's not doing more than primary in the buckets. The chances of oxidation and other issues go up once that SG drops and all that space in the bucket becomes headspace as the CO2 dissipates. That's why we move to carboys and eliminate head space. Not mention that those bucket lid seals are poor at best.

Latest posts

Back