Where are you?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether you want a real answer or not, here is my take. When I joined WMT I had questions. I didn't want to set up a detailed profile with my location and hobbies. I just wanted to post so I could carry on making wine.

I still don't want a profile depicting all that I like and do, but once I started contributing regularly, I added my location. Later, my name in my signature.

I think most contributing members here share their location.

When discussing grapes, fruit, and growing in general, location is very helpful.

I use the nearest large city (well, large for NC, but not compared to cities in China and India). It may be surprising, but location within NC matters for grape growing. I'm located in the north-west corner of Muscadine/Scuppernong country. If I moved 40 miles NW I could grow French-American hybrids, and would have to move nearly 2 hours west (and a bit north) to grow Vinifera.

Trivia -- New York City is #30 in the list of the world's largest cities, with a population of 8.8 million. Chongqing, China, is the largest with a population of 32 million.

Trivia -- New York City is #30 in the list of the world's largest cities, with a population of 8.8 million. Chongqing, China, is the largest with a population of 32 million.
Land area makes those numbers even more interesting. Just to put that into perspective, Canada is huge! The population of the entire country.... 38 million!

Chongqing is 31,800 square miles. Canada.... 3.85 MILLION square miles. I don't think I will be trying to take a walk in Chongqing any time soon. Edmonton can get me worked up. Vancouver? Never again! 😂

Chongqing is not particularly densely populated. That area is huge for a "city," clocking in at the size of Austria. But you should probably avoid taking a walk in Dhaka, Kolkata, Mumbai, Jakarta, Tokyo, etc.
I was going to say that I am very impressed with our ability to hold topic. 4 replies to the OP and off we go, but technically the OP was concerned with geographic's, so I guess we're still on track?🤔

Man, I'm late to this party! Do you folks who post during the day have desk jobs? :D

I agree with @vinny in that most "regular" contributors specify a location. And many others do too. It might be interesting to find out why some don't share that information.

Personally I like the sparse details. I don't want a FB experience. Actually, this forum reminds me so much of the usenet newsgroups that I enjoyed so many years ago. (30? 40 years?) Granted there are more bells and whistles. Progress.

I'll even add to the geography: Hocking County - my current BigDaveK Secret World Headquarters - is 421 sq miles with a pop of 28,050. I get uncomfortable in the "big" city. Yes, there are some things I miss and that's when I visit...and then leave.

Back