When to worry and self reflect....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose' Miller

Reaction score
I just started making wine in the last 12 months or so. I have just bottled:
WE Merlot
Vinters Harvest Blackberry
Vinters Harvest Concord

and have these 6 gallon batches aging:
Vinters Harvest Cranberry
Pinot Noir

and these fermenting:
2- 6 gallon batches of Stags Leap Merlot
Island Mist Hard Pink Lemonade

So far I have had the Concord and the Blackberry. I love them both! So do our friends...

I have read many posts of the Stags Leap.
I am totally stoked about it maturing. My goal is to have plenty of cheap stuff around to let the Stags grow to adulthood. My intentions are to set 10 bottles aside to start drinking after one year. Then have one a month. After they are gone then start on the other hopefully 50 to drag them out as long as possible.....(any other suggestions from those who have made Stags and held out, please submit!)

Do I have a problem?....:i

Last edited:
I can't answer your question . . just yet. My Stags Leap Merlot is 10 months old and just went into bottles this weekend. If the leftover partial bottle from the bottom of the carboy is any indication, then this will be very good wine before too long. It is already rich and full bodied with nice color and flavor.

As to whether you have a problem . . . of course, you are addicted to home winemaking and the only cure is more carboys ( I would have said cowbell, but this is not an SNL skit).

I think your consumption plan is rock solid. With 2 batches fermenting you ought to be able to retain many bottles into full maturity. Good luck!

You will kick yourself for drinking any of the SL Merlot before 24 months, 18 at the earliest.

Daughter got into my SL and she said it was wonderful

Latest posts

Back