WineXpert When to vacuum filter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoeastcoast

Reaction score
I'm making the Australian traminer-riesling... I may have made an error in filtering too soon. Do you vacuum filter just prior to bottling? Is it okay to do as I have done, and vacuum filter during Step 4: Racking and Clarification? According to the directions at this stage I would rack into another carboy, then top up and leave for 14 days before bottling. But I have actually filtered into another carboy... Will this negatively effect the outcome of my wine??

I rack off wine into sec=ond carboy after stabblizing. Next day I filter, then I move to bulk aging. You can bottle after filtering but wait a day or 2 for wine to settle. Just what i do, others may have a better aproach

Well, its been 13 days since stabilizing for me... I plan to let this sit now for about a month before bottling. I'd age longer, but I want to be able to try a bottle over Christmas!

So I take it I haven't ruined it this way!

You havent riuined it at all. As long as its done most of its lees dropping then any time is fine to filter.

Well here is a story for you... after I vacuum filtered my wine, I went to my SIL's to help her with her first batch - an Italian Pinot Grigio...

Let me preface by saying that when I picked up the vacuum filter system from my local retailer, everything was put together, pads in place, etc... all I needed to do was run sterilizing solution through and rinse. But when I finished, I took everything apart to clean for the 2nd round at my SIL's...

Well, we must have done a poor job putting it back together (with new pads) as when we started running it through, the wine started pouring out the sides of the filter!! Oops! So we immediately stopped... we might have wasted a bottle of wine total, hopefully no more. By then it was late, we were both tired, so we just racked her wine normally into a new carboy... as Step # 4 suggests... no filtering.

She will now rent the filter unit just before she bottles... So hopefully we didn't screw up HER wine!!

Last edited:
Hopefully yu didnt oxidize it with that mess. Ive eard a lot of thedse problems with this. Is this the Mini Jet?

Latest posts

Back