When to trim?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pbar1

Junior
Reaction score
I have searched and could not find an answer.

I am beginning my first 2 vines this year and I have already got a shoot going to the top supporting line. It is bigging to grow past it. My instinct is telling me to cut it a little below the line and let it shoot off in a "Y" Shape.

But I want to make sure that this is what I need to do!?

Also... the tendrils. I read somewhere that they take a lot of energy from the plant and you can just cut them off?

I am trying to form my 2 vines with one lateral at 2ft and 5 feet. or should I just do one at 5 feet?

Just curious how I properly train the vine to do what I want it to do.

I have Flame Table Grape Vines.

I'd take the shoot that is above the wire and train it out as one cordon. Next year you can train a shoot from it the other direction. If it is at the wire already, it should grow into a nice cordon. As for tendrils, that is a new one on me. Pinch off any buds this year and next, but I've never pinched off tendrils.

Long shoots, tendrils, laterals, or other extra green growth can take energy from ripening grapes. But you should not be growing grapes the first year, because those sap energy that the vine should be putting into root development the first year.

The new vine should be actively encouraged to grow roots, and that will best result with plenty of leaf area on the vine. Green work the first year may starve those roots, and it can also force your vine to go bushy making trellis training more difficult when you dormant prune this winter.

Removing leaves, cutting shoots, snapping off tendrils is all green work best left for the second year onward.

Latest posts

Back