when to take first SG reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboytex

Reaction score
I started a batch of skeeter this morning and my SG was 1.03, I started to add more sugar but decided to ask someone first. Anyway, I got side tracked for a couple of hours then took another reading and now it is 1.06. The owner of the web-site for the recipe stated that he shot for a S.G. 1.07. I'm still low a little but will it come up? I guess what I need to know is how long after mixing do you wait before taking your first reading?
THANKS!!

Cowboy, did you use sugar water to up your sg? You should be able to take a reading immediately. Add enough simple syrup now to hit your sg target. It's not too late to add it.

Cowboy, did you use sugar water to up your sg? You should be able to take a reading immediately. Add enough simple syrup now to hit your sg target. It's not too late to add it.

yea, I used sugar water. I couldn't understand why I got such a increase in SG in only an hour or so.
I did take it as soon as I added the sugar water and the chemicals and got 1.03 an hour or so later I took it again and it was 1.06!

when you mixed your sugar did you use boiling water to get the sugar dissolved or just cold water if so this would make a difference

Im betting you are stirring this in with a paddle by hand! You really should get a drill mounted stirrer like the Fizz X. This is common when stirring by hand.

when you mixed your sugar did you use boiling water to get the sugar dissolved or just cold water if so this would make a difference

No, it was not boiling water but I simmered it for 30 minutes so it was close I'm sure.

Not all sugar gets disolved immediately. Take a reading and aim slightly low. Then hours later stir and check again. Often it will have climbed a bit and if you did aim low you may be right on. If not you can ad a bit more.

One thing about making wine is many areas can be a little forgiving.

Not all sugar gets disolved immediately. Take a reading and aim slightly low. Then hours later stir and check again. Often it will have climbed a bit and if you did aim low you may be right on. If not you can ad a bit more.

One thing about making wine is many areas can be a little forgiving.

ok thanks djrockinsteve, I can see there is alot to learn, I actually thought this wine making was going to be an easy hobby, not so sure now. lol

Latest posts

Back