When to start drinking after adding campden tablets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokomimi

Junior
Reaction score
Hello

my recipe:

1- Primary fermentation (5days)

2- then i rack the wine without adding anything and i keep it for 3 weeks. (SG = 0.994)

3- after 3 weeks i added 3 campden tablets (3 gallon) , sorbate , oak cubes , degass , more juice to sweeten ..

now i will keep it for 1 month for clear and to let the wine takes the oak flavor..

then i will bottle it..

the question is should i add more campden tablet?

and after adding campden tablet when i can start drinking it?

sorry for my english

thanks

6 months to a year, and that has nothing to do with the campden tablets.

Wine simply gets better with time.

Hello

my recipe:

1- Primary fermentation (5days)

2- then i rack the wine without adding anything and i keep it for 3 weeks. (SG = 0.994)

3- after 3 weeks i added 3 campden tablets (3 gallon) , sorbate , oak cubes , degass , more juice to sweeten ..

now i will keep it for 1 month for clear and to let the wine takes the oak flavor..

then i will bottle it..

the question is should i add more campden tablet?

and after adding campden tablet when i can start drinking it?

sorry for my english

thanks
Wait as the other guy said for a better tasting wine, You could drink it after a month or 2 but it wont taste as good.

You didn't mention what variety of wine you are talking about. Some wines are hardly worth drinking at all for at least 18 months. Others might be bearable - If you like a very sharp, edgy wine - then drink it whenever you want.

If plan on sharing it with others..... They probably won't be impressed by it until it has aged at least 9-12 months regardless of variety. If you made it for a special occasion... that wine probably won't add much to that occasion other than alcohol.

As for campden tablets (K-Meta) There's a significant risk that it could spoil before a years time without any campden tablets. So drink fast.

You didn't mention what variety of wine you are talking about. Some wines are hardly worth drinking at all for at least 18 months. Others might be bearable - If you like a very sharp, edgy wine - then drink it whenever you want.

If plan on sharing it with others..... They probably won't be impressed by it until it has aged at least 9-12 months regardless of variety. If you made it for a special occasion... that wine probably won't add much to that occasion other than alcohol.

As for campden tablets (K-Meta) There's a significant risk that it could spoil before a years time without any campden tablets. So drink fast.

i'm making red wine from grape juice concentrate

Red wines are ones that really need aging as much as possible. So members on here won't even touch them until they have aged 18-24 months.

It's the time that makes wine better. The Campden tablets ALLOW the wine to age without spoiling. My suggestion would be to get some small 'flip-top' bottles (500ml Grolsh type). You can drink it, over time, and see for yourself how it changes.

Back