when to remove raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomheli

Reaction score
i am doing a welches grape juice w/raisins about to rack from primary should i remove or leave then in the secondary and for how long are they useful to the ferment

to remove or not to?

It all depends on what your trying to accomplish,are you looking to build the body?are you looking to added to the taste?,are you tiring to add to the overall complexity,yet alone the alcohol level?,these are all to be considered when adding raisins to the mix not just when to remove,it all depends on your plan for the finished product:tryy,

just trying to give it a little body i will rack off of them, i think they did their job i didnt about the added sugar adding to alc level but that could be a good thing last batch was a little weak in body and alc that was a 1 gal but it was good so i made a 3 gal thanks for youre input i will be racking today

I pull raisins when racking to secondary or at SG 1.000 if I fermint to dry in primary. Squeeze them good leaving juice behind.

thats what i did racked to carboy bubbling like crazy, well tryed to rack cane was getting cloged so i went to a funnel w/ screen

When I use raisins I put them in a muslin bag and just squeeze them once or twice a day during fermentation. That way they do not clog up the racking cane. I also pull them when moving to the secondary. When I pull the bag I just toss the bag and all since the bags are relativll cheap.

When I use raisins I put them in a muslin bag and just squeeze them once or twice a day during fermentation. That way they do not clog up the racking cane. I also pull them when moving to the secondary. When I pull the bag I just toss the bag and all since the bags are relativll cheap.

I do exactly as Brian does, being sure to squeeze the bag a couple of times per day for full extraction. I add raisins to just about any red wine that does not have a grape pack and I have even added white raisins to some white wines.

yeah next time i will have a bag they were pain to rack away from the juice still some in secondary hopefully they will settle

Latest posts

Back