When to press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fourier Transforms? Wow, I remember learning about those back many years ago in college. I forgot about them immediately after taking the final.

In this case, it is not a mathematical operation. Rather, the instrument literally records the Fourier transform of an absorption spectrum; offline, you perform the mathematical transformation (that you studied long ago!) to obtain the data of interest (viz., the absorption spectrum). It is a form of multiplexing that allows much quicker collection of data than a naive approach.

My wife designed, developed, and operated what was literally the best infrared microscope in the world about a decade ago. The facility that housed it is now shuttered, however, and there is nothing as good as it available even now. :(

Last edited:
SLM, back to your original question on when to press, I’d keep it in the primary as long as you have a good cap forming still and as long as you have mature seeds. If the seeds are slight green tasting. Press and get it off the seeds. If the seeds are brown nutty and mature, let it ride. Long fermentation’s can give you an amazing wine if the right tannins are there. However, you may sacrifice a bit of color in the process maybe a bit of fruit, but will gain weight in the mouthfeel and complexity.

If the seeds are good, I’d let it ride for an extended maceration for sure (you are pretty close to that time frame). Keep tasting, keep tasting, keep tasting. That is how you get to know your wine and the changes. It might start getting pretty tannic, but once It gets really tannic most wines will eventually round out. Magic. Then press.

If you commit to an extended maceration, close off the fermentation if possible and gas with argon if you have that set up. If not, you can put food grade plastic wrap on top of the must once the cap stops forming.

All just a suggestion.

I did a Livermore cab EM to 29 days, the mouthfeel is incredible. I did loose a bit of color but will blend with a bit of petite sirah to get it back. Good Luck!

In this case, it is not a mathematical operation. Rather, the instrument literally records the Fourier transform of an absorption spectrum; offline, you perform the mathematical transformation (that you studied long ago!) to obtain the data of interest (viz., the absorption spectrum). It is a form of multiplexing that allows much quicker collection of data than a naive approach.

My wife designed, developed, and operated what was literally the best infrared microscope in the world about a decade ago. The facility that housed it is now shuttered, however, and there is nothing as good as it available even now. :(

SLM, back to your original question on when to press,

Ooops, talk about thread drift! Sorry 'bout that... :i

Latest posts

Back