When to Press when Co-inoculating?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Fermentation started Saturday and MLB was pitched on Monday. The MoreWine manual suggests pressing at 0Brix but also not starting MLB until after the press.

For those that co-inoculate, do you still press at 0Brix or do you wait for MLF to be complete first? Seems like waiting going be an issue if it takes awhile.

I agree. Just proceed as normal. Press when you normally press. Your ML bacterial will be just fine. I prefer co-innoculation 24-48 hours after pitching the yeast. I find MLF finishes quicker and I can get the wines protected with SO2 sooner.

I pitch 24 hours after yeast and press at 0brix. The MLF always continues until complete.

Just don't sulfite too soon, give it some time to complete.

Yep. As others have said: press on the 'normal' schedule. Just no sulfite until MLF is cone.

I have always done separate but may give it a try in the future. What bacteria is your best choice in this method?

One problem I see is it will cost more to add to the must vs finished wine. A pack of VP-41 does 66 gal.

One problem I see is it will cost more to add to the must vs finished wine. A pack of VP-41 does 66 gal.

It’ll do 66 gallons of finished wine, which means must of around 100 gallons. Most things that are added to must are based upon your anticipated volume of finished wine. After all, most of these additions can’t be dissolved into solids like skins, seeds, suspended sediments, etc., only into the liquid juice / wine.

Or, I pressed this morning at just under 0 brix (SG=0.997) and had a few questions.

I netted 8.5g of free pour and about 1g of pressed wine. I was only expecting about 7g total for the 108# so is this unusual?

I understand that I am supposed to rack off the gross lees in a day or 2 so how worried do I need to be about air before then? Currently just sitting in buckets with lids on loose. I have 7g carboy that I was going to use but need to rethink with this new net so may need to pick up a 3g carboy or something.

Since I got a really good net volume should I still keep the ~1g of pressed wine if it means having to get another carboy or something? I’ve read it’s not as good as free pour but also that it add complexity so not sure what to do.

Thanks!

So you got a good yield. This is not an exact science. Congrats.

No way in heck I'd discard your press wine. Get ahold of yourself!

I'd get in carboys pronto, and If it were me, with just 10 gallons of wine I'd mix it all together. You're going to need more carboys anyway, so go buy a couple of 3s, and a couple more 6s. Maybe some 1 gallons too. That will simplify your life when racking. Rack as soon as you can-24 hours is good. 48 is OK too. Usually other things dictate your pace.

Edit-And while you have 9.5 gallons now, It's going to be more like 8-8.5 gallons after you rack off the lees. But it sounds like your fermentation went very well. You started Saturday and pressed on Friday at 0 brix. That's perfect timing wise. Did you taste it yet? It's probably better than you think!

Last edited:
No need to worry about air space just yet, you can pinch down on it when you leave the gross lees behind in a few days. In addition to 6's, I keep a few three gallon carboys, one gallon and 1/2 gallon glass jugs around, and even fill bottles to keep from wasting too much in the early stages. As MLF completes, gas dissipates, sulfite gets added, you'll be racking off of sediment another time or two and can continue to consolidate your wine into fewer and fewer vessels. Keep the free run apart from the press if you like, or combine them, but definitely don't toss it.

I agree with everyone else about needing different size vessels. I have 7, 6.5, 6, 5, 3, 1, 3/4, 1/2, 750ml, 500ml and 373ml and use everyone of them. But I have to say my favorite purchase was the argon set up. I don't rely on it long term but in a pinch it's a time saver.

Yup. I brew beer also so already have a decent supply: 7,7,6.5,6,6,6,6,5,1,1. 0.5,0.5

But no 3!

What’s the argon setup? I have a C02 system but don’t typically rely on purging with gas and instead try to top everything up.

Yup. I brew beer also so already have a decent supply: 7,7,6.5,6,6,6,6,5,1,1. 0.5,0.5

But no 3!

What’s the argon setup? I have a C02 system but don’t typically rely on purging with gas and instead try to top everything up.

As I mentioned I don't rely on it either but in a pinch when you chose the wrong size carboy and don't feel to transfer to the proper size a shot of argon is the ticket. I suppose you could use CO2 as well and I agree topping up is the only sure fire solution.

Yes-If you have a Co2 set up that works as well as argon.

But the ideal method is to have full containers with minimal head space.

I'll bet a 7 gallon and a 1 gallon will do it when you rack off the lees, and if there's any left, even a wine bottle works fine, and will eventually be your "topping" wine.

So I did a quick calc of my losses to date after 3 rackings, for what you might expect going forward.

For Syrah, my losses have totaled totaled 13% after the initial press of 23 gallons

For Primitivo losses were 15.2% of my initial press of 36 gallons. I had a lot of gross lees with this, not sure why.

I don't know if this is normal, but It's what I got. I'd be curious to hear your final tally.

So I did a quick calc of my losses to date after 3 rackings, for what you might expect going forward.

For Syrah, my losses have totaled totaled 13% after the initial press of 23 gallons

For Primitivo losses were 15.2% of my initial press of 36 gallons. I had a lot of gross lees with this, not sure why.

I don't know if this is normal, but It's what I got. I'd be curious to hear your final tally.

I started with about 11.5 gal so lost about 18% during the press. I could probably have pressed a lot more than 1 gal but was hesitant to go too far since it was my first press. Also, I have a bit of a side experiment going on where I also bought a 6 gal juice bucket of the same varietal and added that to the pressed skins. Therefore nothing is really lost just yet.

Latest posts

Back